What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

"The Artist"..

I love the actor in his other films, which are comedies, but when I saw the preview of this and saw that it was showing a dramatic side of him, I had to get it and watch it right away... Watched it two night ago with the wife and found it remarkable...

"In Time" with timberlake. Never thought I'd like a justin timberlake movie since I'm not a fan in any way. However, the movie has a premise I've never seen before and was well worth the time. Genetically engineered people live and grow seemingly normally until they're 25, at which time a clock on their arm starts to count down for 1 year until they fall over dead. If the person works then they get more time on their clock to live. After age 25 everyone stops aging.. so there are 80 year olds that look 25. Also, some people are "rich" and have thousands or years at their disposal. Most of the people in the ghetto live from day to day, with 24 hours on their clock, so seeing a dead person on the sidewalk is normal. It's a social commentary and worth watching for its never before seen premise.

In this movie, time IS $.
''

Have this coming up in the queue and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Your post reminded me. I read recently that there's going to be a remake of Logan's Run. Hope they do it right.

Let The Right One In.
Pretty good. Some very subtle story telling, then BAM!, you're hit with *** moments.
While watching the film it doesn't register right away that the vampire is a castrated old man hitting it off with a 12 year old boy!

Watched the DVD of "Master and Commander"; hadn't seen it in a few years. Extremely well don,e although I thought that Crowe was miscast. That aside, it's pretty good.

Moneyball. While it was a decent movie, I fell victim to high expectations on this one. I found it a little slow at times. I also found that they gave Billy Beane more credit for the teams success than was credible. Not only was he using Sabermetrics to evaluate talent, but the movie had him giving batting tips, scouting reports etc. the manager was portrayed as more of a hindrance than anything.

Midnight in Paris. One of the best movies I've seen in a few years. Just awesome. Maybe Woody Allen's best.

Looking forward to it. I always like it when Woody Allen is on his game.

Saw Hugo tonight and enjoyed it.

Out of curiosity, I watched Attack the Block last night. If I was a tweener-early teener I would have loved it. As it is, I found it vaguely reminiscent of something amusing.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Act of Valor

Superb action scenes and display of what our elite teams are capable of.
Slightly dwarfed by periodic scenes of stilted acting. Guess it might be understandable as many of the cast were actually real Seals, but the dialogue between characters didn't help the film.
Fortunately there was enough action that you forgot about those transition scenes quickly enough.

Act of Valor

Superb action scenes and display of what our elite teams are capable of.
Slightly dwarfed by periodic scenes of stilted acting. Guess it might be understandable as many of the cast were actually real Seals, but the dialogue between characters didn't help the film.
Fortunately there was enough action that you forgot about those transition scenes quickly enough.

This film is on my short list of must see films.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This film is on my short list of must see films.

Certainly no Academy Award winning production, but a good action film done very realistically. No superhuman feats as is usually done with this genre.

As an aside, I was slated to go with SWMBO to see "The Vow" :scared:

Fortunately some friends called and suggested we go see Act of Valor.

I felt like I dodged a bullet.

The Sunset Limited. Great actors. Great acting. Excellent topic/plot. Movie before that was The Pianist. A great movie all adults should see.

Had a nice, relaxing weekend and I took advantage by watching a big ol' pile o' movies:
The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). This is of course a classic, but my favorite discovery that Alan Hale (Skipper from Gilligan's Island) played Little John. Olivia de Haviland looked amazing.

Back to the Future
(1985). Always a blast, and the kiddos really enjoyed this one. We hope to watch 2 and 3 before too long.

Cheech & Chong's Next Movie
(1980). This one starts off in very hilarious fashion, but quickly jumps off the rails when Cheech's "cousin" appears. Watch the first half-hour and then go do something fun, instead.

X-Men: First Class
(2011). This wasn't quite the level of Iron Man or the recent Batman movies, but I definitely enjoyed it. I am assuming they are working on some follow-up movies to this.
Fun fun!

Dave

Top Bottom