What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

I saw Let The Right One In the full two years before its US version came out on cable, so there was sufficient time for me to have a slightly dulled recollection. There was definitely concern before watching Let Me In that it would be either a sloppy horror film or more of a Twilight type love story than I could stomach. So I definitely watched with a skeptic's eye.

A few days later I watched the original again. That's when I noticed the discrepancy. I don't think it was completely omitted in the remake, just delivered to the viewer differently and not as powerfully.

The original was probably predestined to be better if only because it is foreign and that dark Scandinavian familiar-but-strange feel really fuels the already ethereal and Grimm fairy tale tone of the film. I thought it was pretty smart of Reeves to set his film back 30 years. It was a good mechanism to grab at that same surreal familiarity.

Anyway, if I were rating them with stars I'd say LTROI is a 4 and LMI is a 3 (maybe a 3.5, I should give it a second viewing). The acting and directing is strong in both, but the little differences (foreign feel, pool scene, 'the reveal') edge the original a bit beyond the US version.

Along those lines, have you seen both versions (or either version) of Insomnia? I prefer the original there as well, but it's hard to argue against a Christopher Nolan and Al Pacino collaboration!

Arthur. I hadn't seen that one in a long while. It's kind of a lightweight as a film, but great comedy. Dudley Moore was very talented at comedy (and Piano).

Drive: I liked it a lot. I didn't expect it at all. I didn't know what it was about. Rented it purely on the fact that I think Gosling is a great actor.

Sans Soleil: I thought it was horrible. If anyone can tell me what's good about this film, enlighten me, please.

Along those lines, have you seen both versions (or either version) of Insomnia? I prefer the original there as well, but it's hard to argue against a Christopher Nolan and Al Pacino collaboration!

Yes. That's a good comparison. I liked them both, too. Pacino (as always) did his part to carry that film, and I think Stellan Skarsgard was really good in his version. In fact, he's good in just about everything he does. I have Zero Kelvin (which I saw a long time ago) and A Somewhat Gentle Man (which I have not seen) in my Netflix instant queue. Maybe I'll break one of them out tonight.

I saw Let The Right One In the full two years before its US version came out on cable, so there was sufficient time for me to have a slightly dulled recollection. There was definitely concern before watching Let Me In that it would be either a sloppy horror film or more of a Twilight type love story than I could stomach. So I definitely watched with a skeptic's eye.

A few days later I watched the original again. That's when I noticed the discrepancy. I don't think it was completely omitted in the remake, just delivered to the viewer differently and not as powerfully

The original was probably predestined to be better if only because it is foreign and that dark Scandinavian familiar-but-strange feel really fuels the already ethereal and Grimm fairy tale tone of the film. I thought it was pretty smart of Reeves to set his film back 30 years. It was a good mechanism to grab at that same surreal familiarity.

Anyway, if I were rating them with stars I'd say LTROI is a 4 and LMI is a 3 (maybe a 3.5, I should give it a second viewing). The acting and directing is strong in both, but the little differences (foreign feel, pool scene, 'the reveal') edge the original a bit beyond the US version.

Never saw LTROI and thought LMI was decent. That actress that played the little "girl" Chloe Moretz was excellent. Actually everything ive seen her in shes been good(Hugo,Kickass, LMI, an episode of 30 rock). I think she will have an excellent career.

Bullitt. Everything that can be said about this movie has already been said. Let me just say I enjoyed it a lot.

And I hope to goodness the current generation of incompetent asses in Hollywood never, ever try to remake it.

warrior you have to see this movie its the best fight movie thats been realeased since rocky tom hardys one hell of an actor hes playin bane in the new batman and he also played charles bronson britains most violent criminal.

I checked out Warrior last night. Had some pretty strong performances (Nolte and Hardy, especially), and overall I liked it OK in spite of a few things.

Just got a belated birthday gift of the anniversary edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the full 288 minute int'l version of Red Cliff on Blu-Ray.

I've been wanting to see Red Cliff for quite awhile (purposely avoided the US theatrical version) and I have been looking forward to checking out the remastered, director's cut of Close Encounters. Looks like I have a few nights of hi-def movie watching lined up!!

Will report back when done.

The last movie I saw was Green Lantern, Starring Ryan Reynolds. Was not all that good of a movie, didn't have enough use of his actual powers and the story line was just complete crap...:behead:

Just got a belated birthday gift of the anniversary edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind and the full 288 minute int'l version of Red Cliff on Blu-Ray.

I've been wanting to see Red Cliff for quite awhile (purposely avoided the US theatrical version) and I have been looking forward to checking out the remastered, director's cut of Close Encounters. Looks like I have a few nights of hi-def movie watching lined up!!

Will report back when done.

Close Encounters is so good it hurts. Let me know what you think of Red Cliff, I've been waiting to see it also.

My idiot Brother. It was ok. 3/5 stars. I like a lot of the cast like Rudd, Zooey and Rashida Jones. Some laugh out loud moments and kept my attention.

Top Bottom