What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.
Some striking acting, with some of the cast successfully taking on out of character roles.
Definitely not a Bond movie, and some might find it too slow. But I'll be renting the old TV series (6 hours of it!) to see how it compares. I seem to recall my dad enjoyed it.

Plus, Julio Iglesias!

I saw Star Wars: Episode One - The Phantom Menace in 3D last night.

The theater held exactly four patrons - myself and my buddy, and the two guys that sat a few rows behind us. In the words of one of the fellas behind us, "It still sucked in 3D".

Fright Night remake. Oh noes, they made it into a real film. Where is the camp humour of the original?
Edit> It's ironic because David Tennant can be as camp as they come. Funniest bit was in the DVD extras where he made the other actors genuinely squirm with embarrassment.

Last edited:
The Daniel Craig version? If so, did you see the the original? Are they comparable?

When Let The Right One In was remade I was pleasantly surprised at the US version.

I saw the Daniel Craig / Rooney Mara version. I was holding out on watching either version until I finished the book, but I got bogged down in 60 years worth of Vangers. I had to give in and watch it since it was the last major Oscar nominee that I haven't seen. I'll probably watch the other version now.

I wasn't a big fan of the US Let the Right One In, mostly due to the omission of a MAJOR plot point that changes the entire tone of the movie. I didn't hate it, but I thought it was the unfortunately stereotypical (neutered, no pun intended) remake of a great European movie.

Legion

Staff member
I saw Star Wars: Episode One - The Phantom Menace in 3D last night.

The theater held exactly four patrons - myself and my buddy, and the two guys that sat a few rows behind us. In the words of one of the fellas behind us, "It still sucked in 3D".

Best review I've read in ages.

Legion

Staff member
I wasn't a big fan of the US Let the Right One In, mostly due to the omission of a MAJOR plot point that changes the entire tone of the movie. I didn't hate it, but I thought it was the unfortunately stereotypical (neutered, no pun intended) remake of a great European movie.

+1. If the plot point that you mention is the one I'm thinking of, it was one of the things that made the original interesting. In all honesty, I just wish Hollywood would stop doing remakes of recent foreign films. For the millions of dollars spent making the movie the money could be better spent on an education scheme teaching audiences to read.

Watched the recent Astro Boy film the other night. It wasn't bad, but I kept trying to compare it to the original manga and there were some things that didn't work for me. Nicholas Cage as Astro's father?? I'm not sure about that one...Visually cool, with a slightly updated look to it, and enough of the original art style to make it work. I would rather see a Japanese remake of this series than a U.S. version. Worth watching.

I saw the Daniel Craig / Rooney Mara version. I was holding out on watching either version until I finished the book, but I got bogged down in 60 years worth of Vangers. I had to give in and watch it since it was the last major Oscar nominee that I haven't seen. I'll probably watch the other version now.

When Matt Reeves first started the project to do Let Me In, he said something to the effect that we shouldn't be expecting another Let The Right One In, that it was going to be different - which made me even more fearful that it would be a typical American remake with CGI and crappy performances. But I thought the film did well in its own right. I think I know the omission you're talking about, but I thought the film was decent even so.

When Matt Reeves first started the project to do Let Me In, he said something to the effect that we shouldn't be expecting another Let The Right One In, that it was going to be different - which made me even more fearful that it would be a typical American remake with CGI and crappy performances. But I thought the film did well in its own right. I think I know the omission you're talking about, but I thought the film was decent even so.

I definitely didn't hate it, I just prefer the original version. The remake was pretty well done indeed.

Last night we watched Puss in Boots. It was fair to ok.

Jonathan has me thinking that I need to revisit Let Me In, so that will probably be today sometime.

I saw Let The Right One In the full two years before its US version came out on cable, so there was sufficient time for me to have a slightly dulled recollection. There was definitely concern before watching Let Me In that it would be either a sloppy horror film or more of a Twilight type love story than I could stomach. So I definitely watched with a skeptic's eye.

A few days later I watched the original again. That's when I noticed the discrepancy. I don't think it was completely omitted in the remake, just delivered to the viewer differently and not as powerfully.

The original was probably predestined to be better if only because it is foreign and that dark Scandinavian familiar-but-strange feel really fuels the already ethereal and Grimm fairy tale tone of the film. I thought it was pretty smart of Reeves to set his film back 30 years. It was a good mechanism to grab at that same surreal familiarity.

Anyway, if I were rating them with stars I'd say LTROI is a 4 and LMI is a 3 (maybe a 3.5, I should give it a second viewing). The acting and directing is strong in both, but the little differences (foreign feel, pool scene, 'the reveal') edge the original a bit beyond the US version.

Top Bottom