What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Shaft in Africa. Would you believe my wife had never seen the trilogy before now? Although, she never saw Star Wars until we were married so it's not the only one.

Memento. Been meaning to watch this for ages. Glad I finally got around to it.
I think it was clever and effective, how the story is told backwards so you're in the same state of ignorance as the lead character who can't retain new memories.
Was tempted to watch it again with the full perspective, but I'll leave that for another time.

Memento. Been meaning to watch this for ages. Glad I finally got around to it.
I think it was clever and effective, how the story is told backwards so you're in the same state of ignorance as the lead character who can't retain new memories.
Was tempted to watch it again with the full perspective, but I'll leave that for another time.

Great movie. If you liked that, try The Machinist and The Prestige.

This was a good movie-watching weekend for me. I watched Cedar Rapids (2011) solo, Mission Impossible 3 (2006) with the family, and The General (1927) back by my lonesome. All were good in their own right (and for different reasons), but The General was the best of the bunch by far. That is probably the best silent film I have ever seen, and now I need to track down some other Buster Keaton films. Fun fun!

Dave

Watched The Help and Food, Inc. this weekend. One was great and the other was a one-sided, sloppy presentation of a rediculus argument. I'll let you guess which was which. :)

This was a good movie-watching weekend for me. I watched Cedar Rapids (2011) solo, Mission Impossible 3 (2006) with the family, and The General (1927) back by my lonesome. All were good in their own right (and for different reasons), but The General was the best of the bunch by far. That is probably the best silent film I have ever seen, and now I need to track down some other Buster Keaton films. Fun fun!

Dave

Check out The Railrodder for a later and lesser known Keaton. It's on YouTube.

Just saw Red Tails last night......... save your money and don't go! Terrible acting and directing. The first one with Laurence Fishburn was great, but this one was really bad. Was so full of predictable dialogue and scenes that my 5 year old Granddaughter could have written a better screenplay.

i.e. One German fighter was chasing one of the airmen. He shouted out "Die, you crazy African"!

Yeah, that was realistic.:thumbdown

Last night I finished watching The Kid (1921), starring Charlie Chaplin. For that matter, Chaplin did just about everything associated with the film: producing, directing, and editing. He even wrote the score for the film, in 1971! The score was amazing and is definitely one of the better scores I have heard for any film, silent or otherwise. Not a bad start for a first film, in my opinion.

Dave

Just saw Red Tails last night......... save your money and don't go! Terrible acting and directing. The first one with Laurence Fishburn was great, but this one was really bad. Was so full of predictable dialogue and scenes that my 5 year old Granddaughter could have written a better screenplay.

i.e. One German fighter was chasing one of the airmen. He shouted out "Die, you crazy African"!

Yeah, that was realistic.:thumbdown

I thought that the earlier version ("The Tuskegee Airmen"-1995) was not terribly accurate, so I'm disappointed to hear that this one may even be worse. Frankly I was expecting more from someone like George Lucas. The most realistic WWII airwar movie ever made was probably "12 O'clock High" starring Gregory Peck (1949). If someone would do a movie like that about the Tuskegee Airmen, I think it would do very well and be more of a credit to the airmen themselves.

Last edited:
Moneyball - far less accurate than the book. And I'm still not sure how someone thought it would make a good movie. As a huge fan of Billy Beane, it was right up my alley, but I can't imagine anyone else would enjoy it.

Well-said. I thought it was okay, but should have been publicized are utter fiction inspired by Billy Beane or something like that. I did not read "Moneyball," but I have read most of Michael Lewis' stuff, and this seemed more drama that factually based. I turned it off toward the end and went to bed so it did not grab me. Not terrible, though.

Top Bottom