What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Just watched Kings Speech last night. I thought it was OK. Normally when a movie wins an academy award or is nominated, I usually find that I don't like the movie. This was a little bit of a suprise

Secretariat---IMHO--great movie.
When Penny Chenery (Diane Lane) agrees to take over her ailing father's thoroughbred stable, she transforms from housewife to horse breeder -- and owner of the colt that will take the 1973 Triple Crown -- in this dramatic biopic.

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut--another good movie.
During the 12th century in the holy city of Jerusalem, a young peasant blacksmith (Orlando Bloom) takes up the mantle of knighthood so he can help

I have a high opinion of Netflix.

From Paris with Love.

A violent and silly buddy film that has no pretensions of being anything other than a violent and silly buddy film. I liked it. John Travolta does a great job of updating Mel Gibson's Crazy Buddy persona that he originated in Lethal Weapon - best role Travolta's had in a while. The Straight Buddy in this one is some English actor from HBO's The Tudors series, who struggles to pull off an American accent, but he is a much better actor than Danny Glover ever thought about being.

Would I want to see a half dozen incarnations of this, like the Lethal Weapon mess became? No. But I wouldn't mind seeing one more. Anyone who likes goofy action movies should park their brain and check this one out.

"The Game"--at the and I recognized that I had seen the whole thing some time ago already. Entertaining. One has to suspend disbelief.

"Blue Valentine"--Just saw it on DVD. Saw it in theatre earlier. Well done film. A little hard to watch. Performances are great. But as a result, it is sad and gut wrenching.

EDIT: I also listened to the voice over commentary, too. I like this movie a lot, but am uneasy with it for some reason "artistically." The voice over helped me understand why, although I am sure that was not the intention. Among other things, there is a difference between documentary filmmaking and fiction filmmaking for good reason!

Last edited:
They Live By Night starring Cathy O'Donnell and Farley Granger. Farley participated in the audio commentary. Unfortunately we lost him about a week or two ago.

Before that, The Prowler, starring Van Hefflin and Evelyn Keyes.

Great, underappreciated movies from the Film Noir era.

I saw the latest Pirates movie and found myself extremely disappointed. Then I went home and watched Unknown with Liam Neeson - what a surprise! Exciting, well made, interesting story. Still I ask myself why American screenwriters have to give German characters ridiculous names. Nurse Gretchen Erfurt? That's like calling an American character in his 20s Huckleberry Detroit. Please, do some research. :blushing:

La Jetée

and

Following

Both pretty good flicks! La Jetée based on recommendation on here. Someone recommended Following but it was already in my NetFlix queue. :thumbup1:

With the recent movie threads I've increased my DVD/Blu-Ray queue to 24 and my instant queue to 11. That's a lot of movies!

Top Bottom