What's new

Astra superior platinum vs. Astra superior stainless

Anyone tried both?

Is the platinum better than stainless?

What's the difference?

Thanks in advance.

I am interested too.

I found the Keramik slightly better than the Superior Platinums but haven't used the Stainless yet.

There is a pack of the Stainless waiting however but since it is last on the list of blades to try out it could take a week or two...

I really like the platinum version and I just recently acquired some of the stainless and keramics, but I haven't tried them yet. I also have some vintage Astra stainless from pre-1993, which I consider very good.

I will be trying them soon.

Please let me know your opinions. I'm currently trying to evaluate both.

I know I like the platinums. I need a few more times with the stainless. I need to learn to keep my prep, razor and cream the same when I do comparisons. Too many damn choices and not enough patience.

In a similar vein, I tried Shark blades in both the stainless steel and chrome versions. So far, I preferred the stainless steel. But I'm going to revisit the chromes to see if I just was off my game for a couple of days or if I really do perceive a difference between the two.

I have both. The super stainless seem sharper than the platinums to me, however the platinums are smoother. Both are good blades IMO.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Astra Platinum (green pack) were smoother and seemed to last longer for me than the stainless Astra, YMMV

I've not used the stainless (yet), but the Platinums are in heavy rotation as my fvorite blade and they last me a good week even with my tough beard. The keramiks I thought were horrible and irritating.

I've used both and consider them pretty much interchangeable. The Platinum (to me) seems a bit smoother, and the Stainless a bit sharper. But they both yield a good shave with proper prep. Of course, YMMV

Have fun!

I like the stainless Astra and just ordered 100 of the Superior Platinum blades from NT Guys.

Can't beat the price for what is basically a high grade Russian Gillette.
Wp

I have used both types of blades and I enjoy both. If I had to choose between the two I would stock up on the Astra SS's I get smoother shaves from them. :thumbup:

The Astra SP that NT Guys sells are made in Russia but have what looks like Arabic script on them and the word "Jillet" which I assume is a simplified "Gillette". Anyone know what market these are produced for?
Wp

It's been a while since I've used an Astra SS, the last few shaves they gave me were not as smooth as shaves with the Astra SP, which is one of my top five blades. I can get the SS here in Prague super-cheap, so I may pick up another pack for the sake of comparison since my prep and technique have improved dramatically since the last time I used one.

The Astra SP that NT Guys sells are made in Russia but have what looks like Arabic script on them and the word "Jillet" which I assume is a simplified "Gillette". Anyone know what market these are produced for?
Wp

I have the plastic dispenser and the cardboard packets of both Astra's SP/SS they are the same blade. The ones with the Arabic script is for the Middle East and Turkey. The plastic dispenser does not have Arabic scripts.

I have the plastic dispenser and the cardboard packets of both Astra's SP/SS they are the same blade. The ones with the Arabic script is for the Middle East and Turkey. The plastic dispenser does not have Arabic scripts.

Glad to hear they are the same blade :) I got to thinking I may have bought a knockoff.
Wp

Wp

"Jilet" literally means blade in Turkish and yes it was derived from Gillette. They are made for Eastern Europe and Middle East markets.

They have no difference except the cases. On the other hand we do not speak Arabic. We speak Turkish with Latin alphabet.

we do not speak Arabic. We speak Turkish with Latin alphabet.

Off Topic but it amazes me how Constantinopolis and the Byzantine Culture just seemed to merge with the Turkish Culture after The Great Occupation. Almost like the Turkish Culture completely absorbed the Byzantine and bits of each show thru in both culture and art.
Wp

Off Topic but it amazes me how Constantinopolis and the Byzantine Culture just seemed to merge with the Turkish Culture after The Great Occupation. Almost like the Turkish Culture completely absorbed the Byzantine and bits of each show thru in both culture and art.
Wp

Off the topic, I presume you would not say same things about Ravenna, Venice and especially Naples. In my observation they are all about imperialism. For example great mosques were designed for exceeding the Hagia Sophia and another is about the Patriarchy is still available because of this kind of imperialism.

BTW Keramik>SP>SS for usage and performance.

"Jilet" literally means blade in Turkish and yes it was derived from Gillette. They are made for Eastern Europe and Middle East markets.

They have no difference except the cases. On the other hand we do not speak Arabic. We speak Turkish with Latin alphabet.

I should have clarified my earlier statement as will now be shown in the following pictures. The face picture of the Astra package shows the use of the phrase which is in Turkish using the latin alphabet "Cift Trafli Jilet"

The other picture with all of the writing does show Arabic writing (script), are we in agreement with my earlier statement? Never said Arabic and Turkish languages ,were the same.

Last edited:
Top Bottom