What's new

Pearl Harbor - Remembered

To the Congress of the United States

Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with the government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleagues delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

This morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire.

Franklin Roosevelt

The last thing my grandfather, a Navy ship's engineer, saw before getting below deck (while being strafed) was the Arizona explosion. He took up smoking the next day, figuring he wouldn't see the end of the war. He was involved in numerous engagements, and had his ship shot out from under him once by a torpedo spread. He was also part of the landing assault on French (Vichy) New Caledonia, but, as he noted in somewhat saltier language, there was little resistance and the bars were open just after noon.

He quit smoking, cold turkey, after the war. He'll be 97 in May 2010 and, save for being mostly deaf, is in great shape.

(I've linked to this story before, but it bears re-linking).

One final historic note: he bought a Mitsubishi pickup truck in about 1995.

I recently watched a series on the History Channel called Battle 360° which chronicled a number of historic naval battles of WWII, including the bombing of Pearl Harbor and our immediate retaliatory response. Was an interesting show, many details.

Momentous times those guys went through back then, I'm grateful for the sacrifices made.

To the Congress of the United States

Yesterday, Dec. 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with the government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific.

Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleagues delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time, the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday, the Japanese government also launched an attack against Malaya.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night, Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night, the Japanese attacked Wake Island.

This morning, the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us.

No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost, but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounding determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, Dec. 7, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese empire.

Franklin Roosevelt

Classic speech but it's a bit naive to believe that the attack was completely unprovoked or unexpected. I am not supporting the attack but the 'interesting' facts that built up to the actual bombing are many. Interesting stuff indeed.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Classic speech but it's a bit naive to believe that the attack was completely unprovoked or unexpected. I am not supporting the attack but the 'interesting' facts that built up to the actual bombing are many. Interesting stuff.

FDR's first draft (it hangs on a wall at his museum in Hyde Park) called it a day that would live "in world history". Amazing how powerful it becomes by changing that one little word.

I think the best book on the subject remains At Dawn We Slept, by Gordon W. Prange. Prof. Prange was in the Navy's historical section during the war and spent several years on Occupied Japan. He developed close relationships with several important figures in the attack, on both sides, and interviewed all surviving leaders.

I mentioned this today in class, and a kid asked, "What's that?" He honestly had no idea. I briefly talked about it it, and then mentioned VE & VJ Days, and no one had any idea what I was referring to.

My father was 17 when Pearl Harbor was attacked, a week later he volunteered for military service and joined the Navy. He ended up on a LST that landed men in Guadalcanal and Tulagi. Sadly several of those men didn't return. At one point in time the ship was pressed into duty returning bodies of soldiers killed in battle. After years he told me the ship was full of bodies and in order to get from one end of the ship you had to actually walk on the dead. As you stepped on the diaphragm the sound was that of someone taking a breath. He never forgot that sound and I was probably one of the few he ever talked to about it. My uncle was a SeaBee and fought in the Pacific theatre. They went in as boys and returned men. I can't imagine what they saw and the conditions they lived in. They were patriotic to the end, they loved this country and would have given their lives for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom