What's new

GEM 1912 or Micromatic ?

My Straight should arrive back from Texas in the couple of weeks or so........( thanks Ambrose :thumbup1: ).. just in time for my Christmas Holiday when I can hopefully leisurely try straight shaving.

I believe that Gems are "closer" to a straight than a DE is.

I figured while I'm waiting I should give a Gem ago, I've had the Micromatic for ages and just picked up a 1912.

Which should I go with ????

( Yes I know YMMV , but hey, perhaps this should be a poll ) :001_smile

Try the 1912 first. After a few days, give the Micromatic a go (is it an open comb? If so, that's the most aggressive of the lot- nothing to fear, just show it proper respect). Most (not all) feel the 1912 is the best shaver of the common Gems.

I am slightly biased towards the micromatic, as it gave me my first serious bite when I was new. I do find them more aesthetically interesting than the 1912, though.

In my opinion and for my face and beard, unless you can get hold of an older Gem Jr. Bar Razor, the 1912 is capable of giving you the best shave of all the "newer" SE's.

I had settled on a rotaton of three favorite DE's after about 55 years of wet shaving, and then I tried the SE's. When I got to the 1912, I thought I had found MY razor. That only lasted until I tried the Gem Jr. Bar, patent dated 1900/1901. For my use, that is the ultimate in a great comfortable shave.:thumbup:

Regards,
Tom

I would try the Gem 1912 first, at least for a week or so, until you get comfortable with the slightly different angle used with a Gem. Then you can try out the Micromatic.

And yes the Gems are closer to the shave of a straight than a DE razor, due to the thicker non-flexible blade.

Give them both a try out. What have you got to lose, oh yeah your face! (LOL) In all seriousness I would try the 1912 first it's a great razor to learn on.

For whatever reason, the Micromatic continues to bite me. The 1912 shaves just as smoothly, but no bite. The fancy slim metal handle and the fat bakelite handle 1912 shave more or less identically, it's more an issue of feel.

Well I got up a bit late this morning.

Ran 2 passes with the 1912 and a new Ted Pella blade.

It is weird the "scraping" noise you get. :001_smile

Figured I'd better hurry and did a final pass and touchup with my #58....

Must have had the angle pretty good as no cuts or nicks or weepers and the whiskers were coming off !!!

Hopefully a bit more time tomorrow morning for a full Gem/SE shave :001_smile

I'm actually not that sure though that at this level it's that different from the DE and if it's going to help with my straight shaving............

Last edited:
Top Bottom