What's new

first straight razor shave

so i successfully completed my first straight razor shave.
a few questions from this experience:
it seems like my lather needed reapplying half way through, is this just because i was slow and by the time i got to the other half of my face it was dry? or is it the product of a bad soap? (im using a wilkinson soap that my parents bought me as a gift)

and second, i am fairly happy with the shave, however its not as close as the shaves i have received at a barber that is using a straight razor. does this just come with practice? i.e. the better i get at it, the closer shave i end up with?

thanks again for the help!

so i successfully completed my first straight razor shave.
a few questions from this experience:
it seems like my lather needed reapplying half way through, is this just because i was slow and by the time i got to the other half of my face it was dry? or is it the product of a bad soap? (im using a wilkinson soap that my parents bought me as a gift)

thanks again for the help!
oh yeah, i wanted to ask this question too, but why to start new thread if someone asks the same ?:)

Yes all lather dries out after a while and if it took a long time it might well just have dried out on you. After you get a hang of it it goes alot faster therefore no reapplying mid-pass.
and second, i am fairly happy with the shave, however its not as close as the shaves i have received at a barber that is using a straight razor. does this just come with practice? i.e. the better i get at it, the closer shave i end up with?

Practise makes perfect:thumbup1: Straights have quite a high learning curve so just keep at it and you will get BBS in no time.

Closeness comes with time and practice. Face drying out is common with some soaps. Williams does that with me on occasion. I would recommend picking up some bigelow at bath and body works. It does great for straights. Good luck and "keep practicing".

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 to the above. Stick with it, it will get better!

Good work!

Top Bottom