What's new

Goatee...

I don't know if this is a perennial question asked on this board. If it is, I apologize.

I switched from M3 to a DE a couple of weeks ago, and I have a question for those of you who have goatees or mustaches. How do you expose the area around the edges of the beard/mustache so you can (1) see where the blade is cutting and (2) create clean edges.

When I was using an M3, I'd lather up and then flip the blade and use its back non-blade side to remove the soap around the edges of my goatee and side-burns. Then, I'd just shave as normal, and I could see where the blade was moving.

Since I've switched to a DE -- Merkur 38M -- I've tried a few different techniques. (A) I've used my finger to remove the lather around the area of my beard. (B) I've returned to using the back non-blade side of my M3 as I did before to remove the lather (but of course, not shaving with it :blushing:). And, (C) I've tried using the side edge of my razor in the same way as I did with the back side of my M3 to expose the edges of my beard & side burns under the lather. The problem with this last technique is that about 2.5 mm of the razor blade actually sticks out the sides of the razor head. So, that technique poses some serious danger of cuts.

Finally, I add that I haven't had any trouble with unusual irritation with what is a bit of dr(ier) shaving around the goatee area, etc. But I suppose some of you might have more sensitive skin and have figured out a technique to truly wetshave along the edges of the beard/mustache, too.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Never found it a problem with Mach3, DE, Feather AC or straight razor.

I 'know' where my beard or tache are so just shave round them.

I keep straight edges on the sides of mine and keep it fairly short so I take the hand I don't shave with and pull one side towards my chin and shave from ear towards the chin coming in perpendicular to the edge, I have never gotten a clean egde trying to shave parallel with the hair.

I keep straight edges on the sides of mine and keep it fairly short so I take the hand I don't shave with and pull one side towards my chin and shave from ear towards the chin coming in perpendicular to the edge, I have never gotten a clean egde trying to shave parallel with the hair.

On my first pass, I shave down the sides of the goatee with a parallel pass. Then on the second pass, I shave around it with a perpendicular pass, pulling the goatee with my free hand, but I shave from my goat toward my ears to keep the edge straight.

...how do you guys see where the beard hair ends and the smooth skin begins? Do you remove the lather with your fingers or razor, estimate, or -- as the "in the know" observes -- just "know" where the boundary is.

Apologies if this seems like a lame question...

I guesstimate to the nearest 1/4 inch for my normal shave and then shave towards the beard for the last bit.

The longer the goatee the less you'll notice a day's stubble 1/8 of an inch away here or there.

I'm not sure I'm making much sense there.

...how do you guys see where the beard hair ends and the smooth skin begins? Do you remove the lather with your fingers or razor, estimate, or -- as the "in the know" observes -- just "know" where the boundary is.

Much like the rest of my face, I have learned where the boundaries are. When I first started, I would pull the hair of my goatee back so that I could see. I do normal passes up to the edge of my goatee, just as I do for the rest of my face. No such thing as a lame question.

I do remove the lather and sorry for not explaining that.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Mmm, to make sure that you are cutting the bear right, you must be parallel or perpendicular when you will be passing next to the area where you want to leave the hairs.

That's what I usually do with my sideburns but just enough to detach the lather from the sideburn so I can shave doing my normal pass afterwards.

I apply the cream up to the edge of my goatee, and I can usually see the line pretty well. If I can't, I wipe it off a little to find it.

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet.

http://www.goateesaver.com

proxy.php

I've got a similar problem, but with sideburns. I just lather up my sideburns as well as my face, and leave sideburns of lather in the right shape. That is, when I'm not accidentally wandering the blade into my sideburns because I don't know exactly how wide the blade is yet...

Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet

mmack66, I tossed out that link a month back to enquire if anyone is using it but didnt get a response.

As for me, I have a simpler solution - I use shave oil to shave around the goatee area (I like my lines perfectly straight!), and once done I lather up and don't have to worry about it.

Top Bottom