What's new

SBAD….I just don’t get it?

OK guys, I completely understand how someone could acquire all of the other disorders (as I have acquired all of the others). So many different scented creams, so many different types of soaps (tallow, veggie, glycerin, shave sticks, hard soaps, soft soaps, etc.), so many different scents of aftershave to pair with your soap or cream. Although I have tried many brushes, the purpose was to find the ONE that was right for me. I only have one brush (a Rooney 2/1 in super) which I found was the right brush for me after trying several brushes including the finest version of the same brush before I settled on my super. I always viewed a shaving brush as a tool just like a contractor has his drill. For example, I don’t know of any contractor who uses DeWalt on Monday, Milwaukee on Tuesday, Makita on Wednesday, Bosch on Thursday, etc. So explain to me what drives you to SBAD and help me understand it because I just don’t get it.

Tony

Variety is the spice of life! Not all shaving brushes are the same, they perform in different ways, they look different, they even feel different.

A contractor's tools do the same jobs, they cut, sand, drill, drive nails, etc....so there is no need to change them if they work properly. But there is plenty of contractors who upgrade to better tools, just like us w/ SBAD.

Hope that helps!

I have not been hit with SBAD yet. I will never say never though. When I first started out i bought a nice Vulfix2235 super. I used it for a while but if was defective and sent it back to the vendor. I then made a brush from a handle I won in a razor lot with a 20mm finest extra. It is excellent and I have not been tempted to buy any other brushes. The honest reason is brushes cost a good bit of money I do not have

I have a number of brushes and have owned many more. Some of it was the quest for " the one" but that ended some time ago. I like the way different brushes feel on my face, I appreciate the beauty of a finely turned handle. I like the looks of buffalo horn, faux ivory etc. I can appreciate the rarity of a two banded high mountain white brush. A drill is a tool but a finely made brush is much more than that to me. We all have different interests. One of mine is shave brushes.

Variety is the spice of life! Not all shaving brushes are the same, they perform in different ways, they look different, they even feel different.

A contractor's tools do the same jobs, they cut, sand, drill, drive nails, etc....so there is no need to change them if they work properly. But there is plenty of contractors who upgrade to better tools, just like us w/ SBAD.

Hope that helps!

+1 to that.

For example, I don’t know of any contractor who uses DeWalt on Monday, Milwaukee on Tuesday, Makita on Wednesday, Bosch on Thursday, etc.

:lol:
That wouldn't be cost effective but...

Do you want to use a 16 ounce framing hammer to put finishing nails into a delicate wood, a 12 ounce ball peen for straight scales and a 4 ounce for a heavy duty project? You see, I have a brush for soft soaps and the rare cream use, and a different brush for the more normal hard soaps. All these brushes do better at face lathering which is what I use. So your SBAD can be dependent on your cream/soap ADs.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I had the SBAD affliction really bad at one time myself. I still occassionally will see a brush that really turns my head and I get those old feelings back. Either you have contracted it or you have some sort of immunity to this AD, most members fall somewhere between. Now only owning 5 brushes seems normal to me.

Everyone has certain AD's that they never catch.

For example, I cannot for the life of me understand why a person would have more than one aftershave and cologne. For an aftershave, just find a nice one that is good for your skin, and for a cologne, just find one that your significant other likes!

However, I have many razors and brushes, because I like the variety!

I had SBAD until I found the brushes I really liked. After my two restores, I haven't purchased or acquired any more brushes, I'm currently in remission.

Most of my ADs have been merely been sparked by just stunningly good deals on the BST. I see a brush that interested me for a super price, so I buy it. Other times I'm just looking to try something that consistently gets high praise. I'm not super into brushes, but I also have to say I haven't found my 'wow' brush either, so I'll keep looking for deals and collecting.

I started suffering from SBAD, but never bought any brushes. I do not understand the variety thing because there will always be a better brush. I just could not use one brush if I have another that is better. If I had a great brush, a good brush, and a poor brush, why would I ever use anything except the great? YMMV, I guess.

Believe it or not there is quite a difference in brands, grade of hair, loft, density, backbone, handles, etc.

Sure they all may create a lather, but face lathering with a floppy brush is not my idea of fun.

Everyone has different views on different topics
e.g.
Some people will wear your basic T-Shirts, etc while others insist their T-Shirts are 100% Egyptian cotton, etc

So explain to me what drives you to SBAD and help me understand it because I just don’t get it.

Tony

Tony, I don't get this particular A.D. either. :bored:

I have two brushes: a 22mm Finest Badger from Penworks w/ a Tortoise handle, and a Omega #49 Boar with a Red handle. I really have no desire to acquire any more. I am totally happy with the Penworks brush, and the Omega brush.

There might be better brushes out there, but I have no desire, or interest in them.

I imagine a lot of this might have to do with not having huge amounts of funds to throw towards acquiring brushes. Brushes are the most expensive part of this hobby.

For example, I don’t know of any contractor who uses DeWalt on Monday, Milwaukee on Tuesday, Makita on Wednesday, Bosch on Thursday, etc. So explain to me what drives you to SBAD and help me understand it because I just don’t get it.

Tony

Well.. It may not be a different drill for a different day, but I like my corded DeWalt for jobs requiring me to get through thicker woods or boring applications, My cordless DeWalt for putting larger things together, setting up jigs, counter sinking/boring situations. I like my Bosch litheon driver for cabinet work, network installations, auto interior work. Then I got a Bosch Litheon I-Driver for tight corners, applications for high torque...

Oh right... brushes. We were talking about brushes. Well I got this Rooney 1/1 in super that I really like for creams. A Rooney Stubby in pure that I like for soaps, then there is the Rooney 3/1 finest when I want to lock the doors, make ridiculous lather, talk to my inner self, ignore any phone calls, fill the scuttle with warm water, get a fresh blade in razor and eventually finish shaving 45 minutes later because I keep lathering with the bristles from heaven that caress my face...

oh right.. brushes.

Well.. It may not be a different drill for a different day, but I like my corded DeWalt for jobs requiring me to get through thicker woods or boring applications, My cordless DeWalt for putting larger things together, setting up jigs, counter sinking/boring situations. I like my Bosch litheon driver for cabinet work, network installations, auto interior work. Then I got a Bosch Litheon I-Driver for tight corners, applications for high torque...

Oh right... brushes.

:lol: Outstanding reply. :lol:

Tony, I don't get this particular A.D. either. :bored:

I have two brushes: a 22mm Finest Badger from Penworks w/ a Tortoise handle, and a Omega #49 Boar with a Red handle. I really have no desire to acquire any more. I am totally happy with the Penworks brush, and the Omega brush.

There might be better brushes out there, but I have no desire, or interest in them.

I imagine a lot of this might have to do with not having huge amounts of funds to throw towards acquiring brushes. Brushes are the most expensive part of this hobby.

That's too bad! You are missing out on a great experience!

OK guys, I completely understand how someone could acquire all of the other disorders (as I have acquired all of the others). So many different scented creams, so many different types of soaps (tallow, veggie, glycerin, shave sticks, hard soaps, soft soaps, etc.), so many different scents of aftershave to pair with your soap or cream. Although I have tried many brushes, the purpose was to find the ONE that was right for me. I only have one brush (a Rooney 2/1 in super) which I found was the right brush for me after trying several brushes including the finest version of the same brush before I settled on my super. I always viewed a shaving brush as a tool just like a contractor has his drill. For example, I don’t know of any contractor who uses DeWalt on Monday, Milwaukee on Tuesday, Makita on Wednesday, Bosch on Thursday, etc. So explain to me what drives you to SBAD and help me understand it because I just don’t get it.

Tony

I think everyone has their own preferences. For example, I am pretty much unaffected by RAD, while I am addicted to buying and trying different shaving soaps. I am middle of the scale on brushes, mainly because I can't afford to buy a lot of them.

Tim

Top Bottom