What's new

Do glycerin-based soaps generate a less cushioning lather?

I just got a jar of Mama Bear Hydrogen. I've been using Provence Sante for years and it generates a really luxurious and thick lather. I'm pretty sure it's a shea butter based soap. It's the only one I've ever used.

This morning, I tried the MB for the first time and while the lather looked as thick as the PS, it did not offer nearly the same amount of cushion. Also, it seemed to break down after the first pass, so I had to start over again.

I'm wondering whether it's a basic difference in soaps, or whether my technique needs to be different for a glycerin-based soap. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I just got a jar of Mama Bear Hydrogen. I've been using Provence Sante for years and it generates a really luxurious and thick lather. I'm pretty sure it's a shea butter based soap. It's the only one I've ever used.

This morning, I tried the MB for the first time and while the lather looked as thick as the PS, it did not offer nearly the same amount of cushion. Also, it seemed to break down after the first pass, so I had to start over again.

I'm wondering whether it's a basic difference in soaps, or whether my technique needs to be different for a glycerin-based soap. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing...

What you said.

Try a few drops of water on the soap before you shower, then really load the brush with product.
It sounds as if you didn't get to the right consistency, which is absolutely different with a glycerin soap.

Different soaps, different techniques.

I've found that I can get very good lubrication from Mama Bear's soaps after adding a lot of water to the lather but that the cushion diminishes beyond a certain point. If I consciously aim for the thicker lather I get a 100% better, more comfortable shave.

- Chris

Provence Sante shaving soaps do contain glycerine. The "cushioning" is from the shea butter (Karite). Getting the water to soap balance is tricky for glycerine soaps because they contain considerably varying amounts of glycerine. The practice of putting hot water on the soap to let it settle in before adding soap to the brush is, to me, essential. The glycerine is great for lubricating your skin and whiskers. The Provence Sante soaps are at the top of my list too.

What these gents said.

As a consequence of collecting a bunch of wisdom here, a lot of threads got combined into a general "how to" sticky that, in turn, links to all the individual "how-to" threads. Here's the one you want, that takes you blow-by-blow through the process (basically summing what everyone's said: water on puck, more soap, more water).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=439

Top Bottom