What's new

Use 2 hands?

So I read in the straight shaving tutorial that you should use both hands when straight shaving, and this worried me. Is it best to use 2 hands? Do most people straight shave with both? Will it be okay to only use my right hand, or as a newbie to straights should I just start out with 1 hand?

Thanks,

J.

I'm pretty new to str8s myself, and so far have only used my dominant (right) hand. It hasn't caused me any problems yet, so I'm not sure why it's suggested using two. I'm sure others with more experience will give reasons for using both hands.

I'm pretty new to str8s myself, and so far have only used my dominant (right) hand. It hasn't caused me any problems yet, so I'm not sure why it's suggested using two. I'm sure others with more experience will give reasons for using both hands.

Good to know, thanks. I think I will defintately just use my dominant hand for starting out. I just don't trust ole lefty with too much, especially with a blade that could slice something off...

J.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I started a few weeks ago, and was daunted by the "both hands" thing.
But, oddly what I found was that shaving with a straight was such an unusual and unlearned skill that even shaving with my dominant hand, I had problems.
It occurred to me right then, that If I had to learn how to do it with my right hand, how hard could it be to also learn to do it with my left.
I surprisingly had no more trouble with my left than I did with my right.
As your motor skills develop with the new patterns and angles, it's truly just as easy to learn with the non dominant hand as with the dominant one.
Just my perspective.

I recommend atleast giving it a go with your non-dominant hand. If you feel too shaky or unconfident, give it a rest until you feel you're ready. At first, I was pretty uncomfortable with it, too. Thanks to muscle memory, though, soon I was shaving with my left hand as easily as with my right. Funny thing is, I am not ambidextrous when it comes to doing anything else. I can't even write with my left hand, but I can sure as hell shave with it :thumbup:

Edit: Don't take this as a command, though. There are actually quite a few straight shavers out there that shave with one hand. Do what's most convenient for you.

I will just have to give this some thought over the next couple of days. I got my razor tonight, but I don't think I will use it until the mid of next week because I have to go to my wife's work Christmas party on Tues. and I don't want to look to rough if things were to not go so well.

J.

Just start with both hands. As Henry pointed out it really is much easier than you think and you will appreciate that other hand for tough areas.

I recommend using one hand at a time.

- Chris

I promise I meant using each hand seperately! Although at this point I don't know if that would feel any more awkward holding it up to my face with 2 hands or one :blushing:
Before getting the razor, in my mind it seemed so easy. But, now that I got the razor tonight and just kind of hold it up to my face it does seem like this will take a lot of learning.

Heres to learning!
J.

J - you should try using both hands - there are certain angles that you can achieve this way that will be much more difficult (or impossible) using only your dominant hand.

BTW - using a straight razor works best when you act carefully, but with a certain degree of confidence. Set a shallow angle, and move the blade in short, assertive strokes. Happy shaving.

Best ... Steve

You guys have talked me into it. I will at least attempt to use both hands (seperately 82R100) and see how it goes on my first shave. I will definately post next week with my results.

Thanks a lot!

J.

Hi, I had my first straigh8 shave almost a month ago. The first time out I used both hands with a 6/8 and had no real problems. Since then I have been using two hands. I have also tried different size blades and now much prefer a large hollow blade. Again, not as scary as you would think. When you feel ready give it a try.

Last edited:
I dunno guys. Shouldn't we be using the other hand to stretch the skin? :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Give it a go. If its just too hard a task to do, you don't have to use both hands. Its just...better in a way. I shaved with one hand for many years, then started using my left hand for ****s and giggles. I don't notice a difference, but my left hand is so far behind from my right. If I started using both hands instead of just my dominant one, I'd be much farther ahead. But again, its not necessary.

But...if you manage to harm your right hand and you do know how to shave with both hands....you've got a backup!!!! :wink:

I promise I meant using each hand seperately! Although at this point I don't know if that would feel any more awkward holding it up to my face with 2 hands or one :blushing:
Before getting the razor, in my mind it seemed so easy. But, now that I got the razor tonight and just kind of hold it up to my face it does seem like this will take a lot of learning.

Heres to learning!
J.

It takes some patience and persistence, but it is far from impossible. Just keep in mind that all you need to accomplish in your first shave is no bloodshed.

Top Bottom