What's new

Should bay rum smell like cloves?

If it is supposed to, I do not like bay rum. If it doesn't, I need to find the real thing. Thanks for your bay rummy insights.

I like more of a clove scent than mostly bay. You may like Masters Bay Rum as it has more of the bay scent.

A hint is one thing; should clove be the primary scent that you smell first and longest?

Maybe I really don't know what bay leaves smell like, and they really do smell like cloves...

IMO I like the Special Reserve from Ogallala rather than the original. You do smell a cloves smell but the dry down is where it shines and it turns into a warmer smell.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Real Bay Rum has a smell that is very similar to cloves.
Cheap bay rum AS substitutes cloves for that smell, but yes, all Bay Rums have that smell which is similar to cloves.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Myrtaceae/Pimenta_racemosa.html

"The West Indian Bay Tree is native from the West Indies. It is related to the Allspice and its leaves are also used for cooking. It contains a fragrant oil that somewhat resembles clove oil. This oil used to be distilled in rum and water from the leaves, to produce bay rum, used as cologne. The fruit, bay rum and essential oil are toxic and should not be ingested."

If it is supposed to, I do not like bay rum. If it doesn't, I need to find the real thing. Thanks for your bay rummy insights.

I'm not a big Bay Rum fan... but this stuff is amazing !!!
Here is the real thing: https://www.stjohnsbayrum.com/default.asp
View attachment 77715
In a very sexy bottle :tongue_sm
Sample Vials of all our fragrances
Convenient package of 8 fragrances
$5 (free shipping from the Caribbean)
Samples include: St. Johns Bay Rum, West Indian Lime, Island Spice, Cutlass, Indian Gold, J’ouvert, West Indian Lime & Floral, and our newest Fragrance, West Indies.

View attachment 77713

Regards,
Eelco

Last edited:
I'm not a big Bay Rum fan... but this stuff is amazing !!!
Here is the real thing: https://www.stjohnsbayrum.com/default.asp
View attachment 77715
In a very sexy bottle :tongue_sm
Sample Vials of all our fragrances
Convenient package of 8 fragrances
$5 (free shipping from the Caribbean)
Samples include: St. Johns Bay Rum, West Indian Lime, Island Spice, Cutlass, Indian Gold, J’ouvert, West Indian Lime & Floral, and our newest Fragrance, West Indies.
View attachment 77713

Regards,
Eelco

Big +1. IMO, the best bay rum, bar none. Try the balm. It doesn't last very long, but for that moment, it's fantastic.

Don

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Not a huge fan of the cloves either...

My only experience with Bay Rum is Pinaud Clubman VIBR. It has a hint of cloves, but smells like Bigred chewing gum. The cinnamon is overpowering. And no, my screen name has nothing to do with the gum.

My only experience with Bay Rum is Pinaud Clubman VIBR. It has a hint of cloves, but smells like Bigred chewing gum. The cinnamon is overpowering. And no, my screen name has nothing to do with the gum.

Your spot on with that observation of the overpowering cinnamon scent and smelling like Bigred chewing gum.

I'll be looking for another Bay Rum after I finish off this bottle of Pinaud.

By the way, I like the Masters Bay Rum but it leaves a tacky feel on my skin.

I have Boosters Bay Rum (bday gift from my wife).
Tried it for the first time a couple days ago, and the wife loved it...she said I smelt like Christmas. Definetely a clove / cinnimon smell to it. The Boosters smells overwhelming in the jar but really mellows out once applied to the face.

I quite enjoy it.

Your spot on with that observation of the overpowering cinnamon scent and smelling like Bigred chewing gum.

I'll be looking for another Bay Rum after I finish off this bottle of Pinaud.

By the way, I like the Masters Bay Rum but it leaves a tacky feel on my skin.

You might consider using some Witch Hazel to dilute it until it's no longer tacky for you. It probably comes from the addition of glycerin to the formula, and so dilution might work (though it would also mean a scent dilution too, I'm afraid). Give it a try with a small decant, adding WH until it pleases you, and then using the same proportions for your working mixture. Good luck!

Top Bottom