What's new

A few questions from a newb (the benefit of "half-assed" wet shaving)

So I've been toying with the idea of wet shaving for a while. I currently use a Mach 3 Turbo in the shower with a can of shaving gel.

Now I know myself. I just really don't think there's any way I would ever fully commit to the whole ritual of shaving after my shower with a brush and a tub of cream. I like shaving in the shower.

That being said, would a safety razor still be better or do you all think that there's just no point if I'm not going to go all the way with a brush and shaving soap in the sink after my shower.

Thanks!

If I had my choice between using soap and a brush plus a cartridge razor, versus using canned gel or foam and a DE, I'd MUCH rather use the brush and stick with the cartridge.

If you haven't tried it, you should try it before you say "I would NEVER...." Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't really take that long. The lather is so much better than what you're getting now. You could start with creams and a cheap boar brush, just to get an idea. I'd recommend an Omega boar (see Em's place or westcoastshaving) and maybe Kiss My Face cream (available at vitamin shops nationwide) or The Real Shaving Company creams (available at a drugstore near you for like 5 bucks). It takes maybe 45 second to whip up a great lather with either of these creams, and then you can shave away with your Mach3 to your heart's content.

My $0.02. :001_smile

If I had my choice between using soap and a brush plus a cartridge razor, versus using canned gel or foam and a DE, I'd MUCH rather use the brush and stick with the cartridge.

If you haven't tried it, you should try it before you say "I would NEVER...." Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't really take that long. The lather is so much better than what you're getting now. You could start with creams and a cheap boar brush, just to get an idea. I'd recommend an Omega boar (see Em's place or westcoastshaving) and maybe Kiss My Face cream (available at vitamin shops nationwide) or The Real Shaving Company creams (available at a drugstore near you for like 5 bucks). It takes maybe 45 second to whip up a great lather with either of these creams, and then you can shave away with your Mach3 to your heart's content.

+1000

What he said. :thumbup1:

it really depends on you reasons for wanting to wetshave.

cartridges are made to be quick and easy, you can use them and foam in the shower without a problem. DEs take time, effort, patience and care. The results can be fantastic, but theres a learning curve involved.

please dont take this the wrong way - but if this isnt something you really want to do, then its probably not for you.

The main thing/benefit from wet shaving for me is the shaving cream rather than gel or foam from a can. Just changing to a decent brush and cream for me made a HUGE difference compared to foam or gel, even with a cartridge razor.

+1. I totally agree.

I'll agree with that $0.02.

When I shaved with a Mach3 and can shaving cream, I saw it as a chore.
Now that I shave with a DE razor and soap, I look forward to it when I wake up.
And while it may take time at the beginning (I can recall shaves that lasted half an hour, because I was going slow and carefully), after a year and a half of it, it doesn't take that long to get a passable shave. Ultimately though, it's your preference, but at the very least, get a brush and a decent soap/cream.

Give it a go. Your set up costs don't have to be steep. If you end up not liking it, you could always sell the stuff on B&B.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

+1

and Welcome to B&B!

Thanks for all the feedback! Really my biggest thing is that I like to shave in the shower. I suppose I could bring a mug of cream and a brush into the shower.

Also, what do you guys do when you travel? Do you take all this stuff with you?

+1 to what everyone else said before me. You could pick up the CO Bigelow cream from bath and body works, its only 10 bucks, and that seems to be the rite of passage for a lot of new wet shavers (ie, me!). My first cream was actually Taylor of old bond st shaving shop, and I still have it, use it, and love it. As far as a brush goes, get a good boar brush or a cheap badger brush, they will still work just fine and not break the bank.

Try a brush and cream in the shower with your cartridge and see how it goes.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't shave in the shower with a DE or straight. You probably want to pick up a shower mirror (if you don't have one already), but I don't see it as much different than shaving outside the shower. You'd just find a "dry" spot to put your mug.

As for taking with when I travel, I have an abbreviated set-up. I bring a brush and a tube of Musgo. I just use one of the water glasses to lather in at the hotel. I use a straight, so I just throw in my Feather AC. And a couple blades depending on the length away from home. Truth be told, not too different from using a disposable razor. Razor=razor. Shaving cream=gel. Brush=uh.., okay, maybe a little different.

Like most people here have posted, you can pick up an inexpensive boar brush to try it out and a tube of Musgo. Musgo smells a little funky, but works really well and is bargain priced (and can be used brushless if you so desire).

When I shaved with a Mach3 and can shaving cream, I saw it as a chore.
Now that I shave with a DE razor and soap, I look forward to it when I wake up.
And while it may take time at the beginning (I can recall shaves that lasted half an hour, because I was going slow and carefully), after a year and a half of it, it doesn't take that long to get a passable shave. Ultimately though, it's your preference, but at the very least, get a brush and a decent soap/cream.

Amen.

Perceived convenience is tricky to deal with. You could wipe your backside with a telephone book, and it'd get the job done, but I'm sure your buns would appreciate a little tender care. Same thing with your face. Unpronounceable chemicals+five blades shredding off your epidermis do not make for a happy face in the long run. On the other hand, all-natural (for the most part) ingredients+one blade can go a long way. There's no reason you can't do it all in the shower.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback! Really my biggest thing is that I like to shave in the shower. I suppose I could bring a mug of cream and a brush into the shower.

I completely understand the shaving in the shower part. Before I started using a DE, I always shaved in the shower with a Fusion. My first part of the transition was using an Omega Boar brush with the Aveeno Sensitive shave gel. It is actually the best canned stuff out there, IMHO. Then I moved on to Proraso. The only reason I quit using cartridges was the cost. Get some Proraso, and leave it in the shower. Just squirt about a dime to almond size dollop on the end of the wet boar brush, and face lather in the shower.

I promise your shaves will improve by at least 110%.

Also, what do you guys do when you travel? Do you take all this stuff with you?

If you become a face latherer, the only thing extra you will be bringing is the brush. Assuming you stick with the Mach 3.

Just do it! Take your stuff in the shower with you. Make the routine work for YOU. That is what this is all about about.

an omega boar brush is as cheap as 12 bucks shipped. A puck of VDH shaving soap is like 2 bucks (if that) at Walgreens. I like boar brushes a lot, but I use them with soaps, not cremes. If you want a creme, then buy a mid range badger brush like an EJ best badger or similar grade of brush. That will run liek 35 shipped, though, so Id' say get a ncie baor and soap and see what you think. You can get very nice results with a quality boar brush and vdh soap.

I think that a good canned foam +DE is an option, and I use one once in a blue moon, but it is just not as enjoyable or good as a quality lather. I hoenstly find it 60/40 ( shaving creme/blade). People suggest brush and soap/creme, because it's a much faster, more obvious difference with a shorter elarnign curve to get results. That said, not every one finds DE shaving a big adjustment. I was getting better shaves with my DE than I got with a mach 3 within a few days, although I actually had been taught to shave as a kid by my father ( I actually was taught things like WTG/ATG, etc.), so I had a shorter learning curve than average.

I'm in the minority here, but I've been shaving with a DE in the shower for almost 3 years. I will occasionally shave at he sink with a mug (did yesterday as a matter of fact), but 95% of my shaves are in the shower.

When I found this place, I was shaving with a drugstore boar brush, Body Shop cream, and a Mach 3. I've added a lot more products and brushes in addition to switching from the Mach 3 to a DE, but my basic routine is the same. I use a water saver shower head that can be turned on and off, along with a lighted shower mirror on the wall. Trust me, you owe it to yourself to give the DE a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom