What's new

lighting equipment advice

I'm looking to get a new flash for my camera. I've been using my Dad's old speedlite on-camera for the last several months. Now that he's reclaimed it (I could've sworn he forgot about it :tongue_sm) I'd like to get a flash and some additional gear to use for off-camera lighting. (BTW, I'm using the Canon Rebel XTi)

Right now I'm concentrating on a primary flash. Normally, I would just stick with something in my camera body's brand line, but I want to keep my options open with this.

I'm looking at three models right now: Vivitar 285 HV, the sigma EF-530 DG Super, and also the Canon 430EXII Speedlite.

The last two are priced $219 and $250 (sale until 1/16) respectively. With the sale, I might be able to justify spending the extra $31 on the speedlite, but from what I can tell by looking at the features, it sounds like you get more for the money with the Sigma. Now, whether or not the Sigma can actually work with the TTL metering of the XTi is unknown to me... so between these two, the choice really comes down to: do I want to spend a little more for possibly less value to avoid the possibility of problems using a third party flash? They both support E-TTL as well, but this is moot because my camera doesn't support it.

Then there's the Vivitar. I'm leaning heavily toward this one, the least expensive of the bunch ($90). It's all manual, so I'd have to know a little more about lighting than I do now... which is fine because I'd have to learn to set it manually anyways, if I want to be using it off-camera. Being my first, I'd like to start out with something basic and hone those skills before getting something more extravagant...

So, does anybody have any experience with any of these flashes, or any other suggestions for things I might look at?

I swear by Sigma, I have the EF-530 DG ST at the moment, but I am looking to upgrade to the Super very soon.

Sigma flashes are powerful, sturdy and cheap - but they are also quite big and heavy. With a small lens, like my 50 mm macro, on my EOS 500D the EF-530 tips the balance of the camera quite a bit unfortunally.

But, weight and size aside, imho Sigmas are unbeatbale in the quality vs. price calculation.

Regards.

Jakob

I swear by Sigma, I have the EF-530 DG ST at the moment, but I am looking to upgrade to the Super very soon.

Sigma flashes are powerful, sturdy and cheap - but they are also quite big and heavy. With a small lens, like my 50 mm macro, on my EOS 500D the EF-530 tips the balance of the camera quite a bit unfortunally.

But, weight and size aside, imho Sigmas are unbeatbale in the quality vs. price calculation.

Regards.

Jakob

Thanks Jakob!

the 500D is also known as the XSi, correct? or is that the newer T1i? In any case, how do you find the TTL metering?

As for the balance issues, even my dad's speedlite unbalanced my little XTi. I'm not sure what model it was, but it did TTL metering, but didn't have an LCD on the back. I'm pretty sure most flashes will do that to the entery to mid-level DLSRs.... I'm wondering how those tiny four thirds dslrs hold up with some of these things :w00t:

The Canon EOS 500D is the T1i.

The TTL works fine between the Canon EOS 500D and the Sigma EF-530 DG ST.

Regards.

Jakob

I shoot a Canon and have one each of their speedlights: the 430 and the 580. The TTL metering is almost unbeatable. I use a "Sto Fen" bounce diffuser on my flash, and the flash pictures have NO shadows. It's a wonderful $20 well spent.

Off camera, I use both flashes on manual with soft-boxes to take product photos. This system works great also.

proxy.php

Outdoor automatic fill-flash with Sto-Fen diffuser.

proxy.php

Indoors with Sto-Fen diffuser.

proxy.php

Picture taken with two-flash set up.

proxy.php

Two flash set up with soft boxes and light tent. I shoot both flashes on full manual, set the camera to manual, and typically shoot an f-stop of 11, 16, or 22 at ISO 100. It's really that simple.

Heh, I just use big-arse 1000W halogen lights. Sure, they make it a bit uncomfortable to work in the same room, but they're damn bright and damn cheap :lol:

I don't use these...but i know a lot of ppl who do car photography...and they swear by these for entry level off camera lighting.

http://www.alienbees.com/b400.html

That said. I have a friend who is "the" photographer for Raymour and Flanigan Furniture. He took one second at those and said they are garbage....but he also shoots with a 12,000 dollar camera and like 5000 dollar lights.

Heh, I just use big-arse 1000W halogen lights. Sure, they make it a bit uncomfortable to work in the same room, but they're damn bright and damn cheap :lol:
In a studio like setting that might be workable... but I don't see myself lugging around 1000W halogens and a power supply to run them. I'm guessing you'd need a generator or something.
I don't use these...but i know a lot of ppl who do car photography...and they swear by these for entry level off camera lighting.

http://www.alienbees.com/b400.html

That said. I have a friend who is "the" photographer for Raymour and Flanigan Furniture. He took one second at those and said they are garbage....but he also shoots with a 12,000 dollar camera and like 5000 dollar lights.

I've had my eyes on the alien bees... but wanted to start off with a regular flash as opposed to strobe lighting.

Yeah you are gonna need to get a speed light first. You wont be upset with going with the canon or the sigma. You also would be happy with Metz(made in Germany)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/527714-REG/Metz_MZ_48311C_mecablitz_48_AF_1_TTL.html

Im currently in the market for a speedlight too(although im gonna have to wait a bit because I just bought a manfrotto tripod and head) and im considering buying a Nissin Di622. They have been making speed lights for a long time and are pretty good quality you can pick one up for $150.00 at amazon or b&h.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/481493-USA/Nissin_ND622C_Di622_Digital_TTL_Shoe.html

I recommend this forum for reading up on canon products. It is an excellent resource. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Cheers
~Brian

When I was in business, in the era of film, I had big Rollei handle-mount flashes. When I switched to digital, and started taking pictures just for fun, I bought an on-camera flash but never used it, because I could get more natural results from available light and software. Eventually I sold it. I do have a lot of flash equipment but it's all studio stuff. If you want to play with artificial lighting, I think the recommendation for AlienBees is sensible. However, I would make one additional recommendation. In Buff's professional line, White Lightning, the output of the modelling light is proportional to the output of the flash tube. This has a modest utility when shooting film but no utility when shooting digital and in these units, to implement the feature they need to reduce the output of the modelling lamp at full power. It is possible to order the units with the modellinng lamps not so limited.

Top Bottom