What's new

Invicta and Orient watches

Based on the helpful responses to my earlier thread about reasonably priced watches, I've become interested in these brands. Can anyone tell me which one is generally considered higher quality, and how the quality of either or both of them compares to Seiko and Citizen? Thanks.

Orient makes a lot of watches, most sold in the asian markets.....by most accounts a well made watch although I have not owned one. I have owned a few Invictas....I think they are a good watch for the money but their customer service is not good. Depending on the model though the low cost wins out. I think Invictas best features are their dials. They seem to make nice dials. Usually reliable. As for how they compare to Seiko or Citizen, the quality and customer service would be better with them. But.....if you see an Invicta or Orient you like.....go for it!

Tracy

invicta is a "meh" brand that usualy bases its designs on other manufacturers designs, they use low grade citizen movements,

orient use to be the 3rd biggest japanese manufacturer after seiko and citizen until casio came in and took their spot during the 70´s quartz "revolution"

the Orient mako is a watch to be delt with, its very nice and has good presence,
another watch to keep on eye for if you like the style is the seiko SKX007 for that classic diver look, while the orient mako has that modern diver look, similar to the omega planet ocean,

as for the invictas, im not a big fan,

I have 4 Invictas and had a Seiko. Got rid of only one Invicta purely because it was too large a face for me. I am a little partial to the Invictas, but Seiko is a darn fine time piece. Find one you like and have at it. As far a apples to apples and it comes down to price alone, go to shopnbc.com and get an Invicta for the lowest price you can find around. That's where I get all of mine.

orient watches are very nice for the price - I have a number of them.

I'd suggest you visit www.orientwatchusa.com and take a look at their watches - right now they are running a 50% off promotion - use the code givethanks50 . I am not affiliated with orient watch in any way.

The most popular Orients seem to be the Makos (6500 series, I think) I have a blue dial Mako (fantastic shimmery dial), a yellow dial Mako, and a black dial Mako on the way. I also have an orange dial 7500 ("Hogrider" or Mako II) and one of the submariner hommages (2ER...?).

As I say, for the price (with the 50%) I don't think you can beat them. good luck.

I think the 50% promotion runs for only three more days, by the way.

Last edited:
I would go with the Orient. It's a much better watch than the Invictas. The automatic movements are made in-house. I have a few of their vintage watches.

I would go with the Orient. It's a much better watch than the Invictas. The automatic movements are made in-house. I have a few of their vintage watches.

+1 Orient is a solid company with good value built in their watches.

Thanks guys. I really like the Orient Mako diver, and at 50% off it seems like a great deal.

I'll confess that I'm moderately nervous about getting a steel watch because the last watch I had with a non-titanium metal band gave me a rash on my writst. It was a Seiko with a two-tone (steel and gold tone) band - I never figured out if the cause was some component in the Seiko band itself or just accumulated dirt and grime. I may just have to roll the dice - I'm not crazy about the styling of the titanium watches I've seen in my price range, and I don't like the way leather bands feel when I sweat.

Thanks guys. I really like the Orient Mako diver, and at 50% off it seems like a great deal.

I'll confess that I'm moderately nervous about getting a steel watch because the last watch I had with a non-titanium metal band gave me a rash on my writst. It was a Seiko with a two-tone (steel and gold tone) band - I never figured out if the cause was some component in the Seiko band itself or just accumulated dirt and grime. I may just have to roll the dice - I'm not crazy about the styling of the titanium watches I've seen in my price range, and I don't like the way leather bands feel when I sweat.

You can purchase a nylon Nato band or a rubber divers band and solve your problem.

You can purchase a nylon Nato band or a rubber divers band and solve your problem.

That's true - the Mako does come in a model with a rubber band.

Is "Nato nylon" the type of band on the Seiko 5 military watches?

I have a feeling that there was something specific to the Seiko band that caused the rash, because caseback didn't bother me, nor has the non-titanium caseback on any other watch. Still, it might just be safer to do as you suggest.

Thanks for Orient 50% code, just bought the white multi-eyes :tongue_sm: I couldn't resist. I've been stalking this watch for months. I'll now be able to post in the "Watch Ya Wearing" thread, watch out Austin.

Last edited:
Very happy that you're taking advantage of the discount!

If you're interested in looking at watch bands (zulu, nato, rubber dive bands, etc.) here's a link to County Comm - a big Maratac watchband dealer: click here

- I'm not affiliated with these guys, either.

I'd suggest you buy the metal bracelet with your Mako - the nato/zulu bands are relatively cheap. Of course you could always go with an aftermarket ss bracelet, too.

I find the metal bracelets or nylon straps more comfortable than rubber dive straps. (My newest mako is coming with a rubber strap however - I have an extra orient bracelet & a bunch of nylon straps to rotate among the Makos.)

Anyhow - glad the code worked for you.

Ok, I just ordered the blue Mako (with the metal band - that's what passes for living on the edge in the Obsessed universe these days :rolleyes:).

Thanks for the advice, thanks for the discount code, and thanks for enduring my not-so-inner monologue about the band.

Agreed - I have an Orient and not only does it function perfectly, but it has the fit and finish of watches costing many times as much - as in on par with Seiko at least and I've had several people ask me how I like my Rolex...

These are simply great watches for the money.

And thanks for the code - I may have to buy another one damn you!!!

I've been looking at the Orient watches for a while now ... and a half price code? My wallet feels lighter already ...

I'm looking for a dressier go-to-church, go-to-weddings watch from the Orient line. Any recommendations? I have to say that white multi-eyes is very sharp ...

it is a 21,600bhp non hacking, non handwinding movement on most orients, which is slightly annooying becuase its hard to set it to the second, and when you dont wear it for a while you have to swirl it a bit in your hand to get it going,
the handwinding issue didnt bother me much, but the hacking really annoyed me when i couldnt set it to the exact moment,

By the way, does anyone know how Orient is with shipping? Every watch I have now is either lost or broken, so I hope the new one comes soon! (Fortunately, the watches I have with any sentimental or pecuniary value aren't the ones that are lost.)

Top Bottom