What's new

Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Mixed Boar and Badger

Anyone ever tried this brush or a mixed boar/badger brush? I'm a relative newbie and I've been using my Dad's old boar bristle. It's fine but I'm interested in adding another but I'm afraid of spending the $$ on upper end badger brushes.

This is a pretty affordable brush - definitely not "high end" by any stretch.

I think I paid about $10 or $15 for mine a couple of years ago.

Not a bad brush for the money.

I haven't tried this particular brush, but I do have a mixed #21047 Omega and I like it a lot. It has the best of both worlds. The nice solid backbone and soft tips of a good boar brush, but with the water holding capacity of badger. If you're looking for something different for not a lot of money, then I would definitely buy a mixed brush.

Now get off the fence and buy that Vulfix 404! :biggrin:

It's got a lovely faux ivory handle that belies it's price, available from Diamond Edge Ltd in the UK.

When you're looking to upgrade again just replace with a GN knot and voila a high end brush for 1/4 of the price.

Many thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll go ahead and order it. What's a GN knot?

Many thanks for the thoughts. I think I'll go ahead and order it. What's a GN knot?

A knot from the the Golden Nib, as seen here. They're pretty darn good and are great way to get a quality badger brush for cheap, assuming you have a handle to knot.

This is probably one of my least favorite brushes. I would choose an omega boar or any badger brush over this one. While being well made, it just isn't very dense. It is only ~$15 so if you don't like it, it is not a huge investment.

This is probably one of my least favorite brushes. I would choose an omega boar or any badger brush over this one. While being well made, it just isn't very dense. It is only ~$15 so if you don't like it, it is not a huge investment.

My guess is that you don't shop in the sub $35/40,= category. I would rate the Vulfix mixed brush higher than most badgers in that price range.

I think the Vulfix Mix brush is a really nice starter brush especially when you haven't decided about or use both soaps and creams. I think you can't go wrong with it.

There is another pure padger Vulfix, with the Grosvenor name, which is way better than the mix IMO. The mixed brush is ~$15 and the pure badger brush is ~$35.

Again, if you want to stick to the $10 range, go for an omega boar.

There is another pure padger Vulfix, with the Grosvenor name, which is way better than the mix IMO. The mixed brush is ~$15 and the pure badger brush is ~$35.

I can't comment on the badger-only Grosvenor, but I do agree that the Omega pro is a "better" brush than the boar/badger Grosvenor. That being said, I think that the boar/badger Grosvenor is a very good brush for the money - especially if you want a traditional handle made of turned faux ivory instead of molded plastic.

Don't get me wrong; I love Omega boar brushes, I just think that the Vulfix mix is still a lot better than most budget badgers like the Tweezerman. Don't know the Grosvenor badger, so can't comment here.

I can't comment on the badger-only Grosvenor, but I do agree that the Omega pro is a "better" brush than the boar/badger Grosvenor. That being said, I think that the boar/badger Grosvenor is a very good brush for the money - especially if you want a traditional handle made of turned faux ivory instead of molded plastic.

There is a lot of change in names and materials going on as it seems since my mix Vulfix has a molded handle and I have also heard reports about the mix brush being canceled altogether.

I still think this is one of the better budget introductions into wetshaving and though I prefer a good boar over most brushes, I really like what Vulfix made here.

It's a $10 brush...I've actually just bought these brushes just for the handles only to re-knot them. They are a fair starter brush.
As for the Grosvenor 404B, I cannot recommend that...prickly, small and floppy, guess what I'm going to do with that...

Thanks all. Very knowledgeable and thoughtful comments. I did go ahead and order the brush. I'm hoping that it works for me and that for the money it will not prove a disappointment.

Top Bottom