What's new

French Cuff shirts

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've pretty much got a shirt AD and recently tried Charles Tyrwhitt on a suggestion from Doc4.

Their Sea Island cotton is on sale for $115US and is the best bang for your buck I've run into in a long time of buying shirts.

I've got shirts by Zegna, Armani, Brooks Brothers, Ricci, Behar, Brioni, Frey and many others. I've had custom made in past as well.

The CT Sea Island shirts are clearly very high quality cotton. Like "oh wow" quality. Only the Ricci and Frey are better quality cotton in my shirt wardrobe imo. You don't want to know the price of the Ricci (but I did get it way marked down).

If that $115 seems too pricey, buy one CT instead of two of something lesser and see for yourself.

You should sell that post to CT's publicity department. :lol:

Seriously though, the sea island they make is nice. The regular cotton dress shirts are "meh" IMHO, but the sea island is still worth getting. I don't have quite as many names of other makers to run through in my closet, but the sea island is nice.

Well I'll work cheap.

I may have gushed a bit, but having a simple white shirt from them really showcases the quality.

I like the CT a lot, especially at that price point. I like the collar, cut and fit as well. I'm dressing more conservatively of late, and simple fits the bill. I got a Harvie and Hudson shirt at about the same price and it's probably not as nice as the CT Sea Island.

I just Googled it. Wow, those must be some amazing shirts.

Lest people think I'm rich or nuts, i only have the one. The SA put it aside for knowing I'd been eye-balling it when they had a substantial reduction on it (quite a bit over 50%).

They are certainly not worth that much by the average or even above average man's measure, but they are distinctive, very well made and the finest cotton you can imagine. Almost silk like. More than a tad Euro trashy.

Man, my $70 shirts that I can't afford to buy right now seem like Walmart clearance crap now. :lol:

I still think $70 shirts can be pretty nice. $750 dollars for a shirt is ridiculous though. The only person I can see paying that much money for a shirt would be a rich spoiled brat, or someone that has no idea the value of a dollar. I'll bet Warren Buffett wouldn't pay that much for a shirt.

Why all the hate for button-down collars? I'm not talking about french cuff button downs, because that's just stupid, or if you're trying to look formal. What about just wearing khakis with a button down w/no tie? I think it looks better than the point or spread collar unbuttoned. Those look too Miami Vice to me. Again, for any business suit or formal wear, button downs are unacceptable, but casual is fine.

Why all the hate for button-down collars? I'm not talking about french cuff button downs, because that's just stupid, or if you're trying to look formal. What about just wearing khakis with a button down w/no tie? I think it looks better than the point or spread collar unbuttoned. Those look too Miami Vice to me. Again, for any business suit or formal wear, button downs are unacceptable, but casual is fine.

I don't buy button down collared shirts because I'm always wearing a tie at work. When I'm casual, I'm a jeans and t-shirt guy.

Top Bottom