What's new

French Cuff shirts

I concur with the point or spread collar. I like the Brooks Brothers ones a lot. My favorite are the Hackett french cuff shirts with a spread collar.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One thing french cuff shirts should have a point or spread collar (I'm partial to spread collars), do not get button down collar, it is too casual a look.

+1, but ... :blink:

... do any manufacturers out there actually DO that?

I've never seen one on the shelf but I saw one on a hipster at one of the local watering holes. Some of the young folks wear french cuffs without a tie and most cases without a jacket.

One thing french cuff shirts should have a point or spread collar (I'm partial to spread collars), do not get button down collar, it is too casual a look.

+1, although I've never seen it. I refuse to wear a button down collar of any kind, even casual. I do not know why, but I do not like them.

+1, but ... :blink:

I've never seen one on the shelf but I saw one on a hipster at one of the local watering holes. Some of the young folks wear french cuffs without a tie and most cases without a jacket.

I'll confess to sometimes wearing french cuffs without a tie (like today), primarily because my supply of business casual shirts has dwindled through attrition and I haven't replenished it yet. The idea of a french cuff shirt with a button-down collar, however, is too horrifying for words, and I wish it had never been brought up. :w00t:

I'll confess to sometimes wearing french cuffs without a tie (like today), primarily because my supply of business casual shirts has dwindled through attrition and I haven't replenished it yet. The idea of a french cuff shirt with a button-down collar, however, is too horrifying for words, and I wish it had never been brought up. :w00t:

I have a couple of French Cuff shirts that are primarily for casual use. Or at least they are to me. They would be fine for dress, I suppose, but do not feel right to me.

Banana Republic has for awhile been pushing a line of somewhat dressy shirts with french cuffs.
(They sell them with regular buttons in them as a "place holder' for the cufflinks.)

They are mostly not a style one would consider wearing with jacket and tie.
At least I wouldn't.

I think the old Custom Shop shirtmaker out of New York might have sold button downs with french cuffs, but I don't know that I've ever seem them.

Last edited:
There are lots of good options out there. There is also a great deal to be said about having your clothes tailored to fit. This doesn't just apply to the ultra-slim or buff crowd either. Regardless of your body type a properly fitted shirt will make you look/feel like a million bucks.

As a student there is no way I can afford bespoke shirts. However I will go and buy a good quality shirt (Gloweave are my current favs) and take them to a shop that specializes in alterations. The lady there alters my shirts to make them fit better. It works out at less than $100AUD for the shirt and alterations.

Pete

+1, although I've never seen it. I refuse to wear a button down collar of any kind, even casual. I do not know why, but I do not like them.
+3

I can't stand a button down collar.

And I can't wear a shirt without a pocket. I write to much during the day and I need to have a pen handy. My shirt pocket gets to showcase my finest pens. :biggrin1:

I only buy French cuff shirts. Look great with a jacket and I just roll up the sleaves if I'm not wearing one.

+4 on not wearing any buttondowns either.

I've pretty much got a shirt AD and recently tried Charles Tyrwhitt on a suggestion from Doc4.

Their Sea Island cotton is on sale for $115US and is the best bang for your buck I've run into in a long time of buying shirts.

I've got shirts by Zegna, Armani, Brooks Brothers, Ricci, Behar, Brioni, Frey and many others. I've had custom made in past as well.

The CT Sea Island shirts are clearly very high quality cotton. Like "oh wow" quality. Only the Ricci and Frey are better quality cotton in my shirt wardrobe imo. You don't want to know the price of the Ricci (but I did get it way marked down).

If that $115 seems too pricey, buy one CT instead of two of something lesser and see for yourself.

Top Bottom