What's new

French Cuff shirts

Also remember in terms of dress clothing, buy quality. Not quantity. Realize that if you have a black suit and 3 or 4 shirts and ties, you essentially have 3 or 4 different suits. :D

I wont wear a short sleeved dress shirt or one with out a pocket. No pocket i cant carry my nice pens.

I'm a big fan of nice pens as well. I sign my name more than a thousand times a month, so I use one quite a bit. But I'm not a big fan of showcasing them in a shirt pocket. Besides, my favorite pen is way too heavy for a dress shirt, it would pull too much. I find that my suit jacket works fine, or in the absence of a jacket, in my front pants pocket.

Brooks Brothers has some reasonably priced french cuff shirts...with and without pocket. But color range is fairly limited. Plus most of what I've seen there is "full cut" which works for me but YMMV. I haven't tried their more fitted shirts.

It depends a lot of budget. French cuff shirts at the high end department stores/designer names can get pretty pricey.

I would also be one to push you to go custom made if there's a shirt maker in your town. It rocks to pick out all the details- color, fit, sleeve length, collar style.
They are not cheap, but depending on where you live there may be a shop they can do them in the $150-$200 each range. Maybe less.

Last edited:
Brooks Brothers has some reasonably priced french cuff shirts...with and without pocket. But color range is fairly limited. Plus most of what I've seen there is "full cut" which works for me but YMMV. I haven't tried their more fitted shirts.

I was shocked to find that I can actually wear the Brooks Brothers "slim fit" shirts. As I discussed this previously in a post that evidently got me my custom user title, I thought I'd share it again:

They are great shirts, but remember that they are "slim" only in comparison to Brooks's regular fit shirt, which is cut for the, shall we say, ample gentleman. I'm 6'3" and about 240 pounds (and sadly, it ain't all muscle :eek:) and their slim fit shirts actually fit me. I currently wear shirts with the 17.5" neck, and the guy at the store told me that the regular shirts with that neck size are cut for pretty enormous guys. I almost laughed in his face when he suggested the slim fit, but he was right. The ended up fitting me much better than the regular.

I think they actually have "extra slim" now.

I was shocked to find that I can actually wear the Brooks Brothers "slim fit" shirts. As I discussed this previously in a post that evidently got me my custom user title, I thought I'd share it again

Hmmm, sort of figures with BB. Their full cut is pretty FULL. I'll have to try them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I was shocked to find that I can actually wear the Brooks Brothers "slim fit" shirts.

"Slim Fit" or "Fitted" is really a matter of opinion, and not just with Brooks Bros. One man's slim-fit is another man's tent, and each brand has it's own interpretation of just how slim they want it to be.

Really, truly "slim" shirts from high-end, fashion-forward brands would only fit marathon runners, runway models, and professional hunger strikers. Most of the guys who want to wear slim fit shirts are carrying around 10-20 lbs more than they should* and yet want both the emotional satisfaction of wearing "slim" and the ability to wear something other than the tent-like garments designed for the third of America** that is buffet-addictedly obese.

Hence, the advent of baggy slim-fit. I've bought 'slim fit' or 'fitted' shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt for several years, and they have become more shall we say 'forgiving' through time.

Bottom line ... research is needed to find a slim-fit shirt that fits you.

* Yes, throwing stones in a glass house, I admit it.
** and Canadians. More glass house stones there too.

Really, truly "slim" shirts from high-end, fashion-forward brands would only fit marathon runners, runway models, and professional hunger strikers. Most of the guys who want to wear slim fit shirts are carrying around 10-20 lbs more than they should* and yet want both the emotional satisfaction of wearing "slim" and the ability to wear something other than the tent-like garments designed for the third of America** that is buffet-addictedly obese

Ah! Nothing takes the sting out of a *****-slap like a properly formatted annotation. How I miss the days of grad school, when all disagreements could be settled with an MLA Style Guide duel.:tongue_sm

The OP would do well to listen to Ian, though. Chuck Jones once said that Bugs Bunny was who we all wanted to be, but Daffy Duck was who we all actually were. We all want to believe we can wear Slim-Fit shirts* but we are better off fighting that impulse. Do your homework, first.

* except me, I know better--they explode too quickly.

Most of the guys who want to wear slim fit shirts are carrying around 10-20 lbs more than they should and yet want both the emotional satisfaction of wearing "slim" and the ability to wear something other than the tent-like garments designed for the third of America that is buffet-addictedly obese.

That's wihy I found the whole thing kind of ridiculous. The fact that I can wear slim-fit shirts indicates just how far the spectrum has shifted to the heft.

V

VR6ofpain

Kohls used to sell some made by their house brand Apt. 9. They were very well made and cheap ($12-20 on clearance). I have a couple.

I have also seen some at Banana Republic, though this actually a year ago.

For a quality dress shirt at a reasonable price, I recommend Lands End (rhyme not intentional).

"Slim Fit" or "Fitted" is really a matter of opinion, and not just with Brooks Bros. One man's slim-fit is another man's tent, and each brand has it's own interpretation of just how slim they want it to be.

Really, truly "slim" shirts from high-end, fashion-forward brands would only fit marathon runners, runway models, and professional hunger strikers. Most of the guys who want to wear slim fit shirts are carrying around 10-20 lbs more than they should* and yet want both the emotional satisfaction of wearing "slim" and the ability to wear something other than the tent-like garments designed for the third of America** that is buffet-addictedly obese.

Hence, the advent of baggy slim-fit. I've bought 'slim fit' or 'fitted' shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt for several years, and they have become more shall we say 'forgiving' through time.

Bottom line ... research is needed to find a slim-fit shirt that fits you.

Well put.

For a quality dress shirt at a reasonable price, I recommend Lands End (rhyme not intentional).

+1 on Landsend. Good company, fine shirts, reasonable price and good return policy. If it makes any difference, they also offer trim sizes.

One thing french cuff shirts should have a point or spread collar (I'm partial to spread collars), do not get button down collar, it is too casual a look.

Top Bottom