What's new

English bridle leather

Dumb question time: What's the distinguishing characteristic of English bridle leather as compared to other types of leather?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
English Bridle is a cowhide/steerhide leather that has a bit of a waxy/oily feel (depending on which tannery and process is chosen) and works sort of like Latigo but maybe with a touch less draw.

It can be had with a relatively 'dry" finish so as not to feel at all like latigo but has more in common with it than with the other natural finish cowhides most commercial strops are made from.

Most of the flesh or tan colored strops are just tooling leather, veg tanned with a buffed or sanded finish. I like the feel but find them quite prone to cupping. It is hard enough to get a natural material to lay flat and that has determined what I will and will not use, no matter how much I like the draw or look.

Just like latigo, each tannery has its own formulas for tanning and there can be variation between which "model" hide you order. The tannery I use offers 4 different latigos and only one that I feel is adequate for strop making. English Bridle is the same, different formulas give different fee/draw characteristics.

Overall it is a material that offers a nice feel and draw. I have experimented with it a bit a few years ago but never got consistant results with the stock hides. I do think Hand American has theirs tanned to a special finish according to what I have read so would probably give nicer results than most off the shelf bridle leathers and would be my choice if I was in the market for one.

Tony

Thank you, Tony, for the information. I appreciate your taking the time to explain it.

So there is no clear advantage to English Bridle compared to others? Is it simply a matter of personal chance and, in most cases, strop AD? :wink2:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I don't think any one leather has a real advantage over another, mine or anyone elses. I think it comes down to personal preference and feel....heavy draw, light draw or in between....everyone likes something different.

Just read the reviews and posts....."horsehide is best" while the next guy says it does nothing for him but latigo does. Some love the feel of an Illinois 827 with its reversed rough Russian finish. There seems to be no constant, one performs better than the other answer.

In addition to the amount of draw, each may have different feedback...soft, hard surface, flexy or stiff overall body, etc..... After a point I think it becomes and endless, what beast can we tame to make a strop from and have a "new" design. Even here ideas vary, while it is good to constantly look for improvements and to refine materials, many firms who have made strop for 50+ years still use the same basic materials that have always worked for them.

If I was buying just one strop I'd (me personally, not my advice to anyone) probably still pick a higher draw model as more draw seems to give more control in stropping (to me at least) and in my opinion makes it easier to learn on.

Now...if I was not paying for them, or budget was of no concern I'd probably go latigo, bridle and horsehide...three different feels/draws/textures for the ultimate, "got it covered" setup and enjoy the spread.

I'd say pick any of the popular leather choices, a style you like and a vendor you like and don't look back. There is no wrong choice and plenty of options to choose from. Five years ago there were few options other than 3 main commercial strops Dovo, Jemico and Illinois with the Dovo/Jemico being nearly identical.

Tony

Last edited:
I don't think any one leather has a real advantage over another, mine or anyone elses. I think it comes down to personal preference and feel....heavy draw, light draw or in between....everyone likes something different.

Just read the reviews and posts....."horsehide is best" while the next guy says it does nothing for him but latigo does. Some love the feel of an Illinois 827 with its reversed rough Russian finish. There seems to be no constant, one performs better than the other answer.

In addition to the amount of draw, each may have different feedback...soft, hard surface, flexy or stiff overall body, etc..... After a point I think it becomes and endless, what beast can we tame to make a strop from and have a "new" design. Even here ideas vary, while it is good to constantly look for improvements and to refine materials, many firms who have made strop for 50+ years still use the same basic materials that have always worked for them.

If I was buying just one strop I'd (me personally, not my advice to anyone) probably still pick a higher draw model as more draw seems to give more control in stropping (to me at least) and in my opinion makes it easier to learn on.

Now...if I was not paying for them, or budget was of no concern I'd probably go latigo, bridle and horsehide...three different feels/draws/textures for the ultimate, "got it covered" setup and enjoy the spread.

I'd say pick any of the popular leather choices, a style you like and a vendor you like and don't look back. There is no wrong choice and plenty of options to choose from. Five years ago there were few options other than 3 main commercial strops Dovo, Jemico and Illinois with the Dovo/Jemico being nearly identical.

Tony

Tony's advice is as good as his strops!:thumbup1:

Just like with razors, full hollow is not any better than a heavy wedge, or vice versa. Same with strops- they all can be quite different. Part of the fun is experiencing the differences in the stuff you use to get a great shave.

Top Bottom