What's new

Which Japanese aftershaves to get

I have a friend going to Japan soon. Does anyone have any recommendations for classic Japanese drugstore aftershaves?

I'm fully aware of Mandom, but I can get that here. Looking for stuff not easily available in US.

Thanks in advance.

There are many. Some favorites are Lucido unscented, Bravas and MG5. Valcan and Auslese are also supposed to be good. Erioca smells like an 80-year-old pervert with candy in his pocket...avoid unless this is the look you're aiming for.

I have a friend going to Japan soon. Does anyone have any recommendations for classic Japanese drugstore aftershaves?

I'm fully aware of Mandom, but I can get that here. Looking for stuff not easily available in US.

Thanks in advance.

...Mandom?

There are many. Some favorites are Lucido unscented, Bravas and MG5. Valcan and Auslese are also supposed to be good. Erioca smells like an 80-year-old pervert with candy in his pocket...avoid unless this is the look you're aiming for.

I agree on all of those. I have Lucido, MANDOM, Bravas, MG5, Valcan and Auslese. All great.

I don't think that Eroica is that bad--to me it smells just like Tabac. However Eroica Valient is nice--it is much more citrus. There's also an Eroica EdT that comes in a neat little dark green bottle.

Most of these are under $10 a bottle, so you can stock up without investing too much money.

Of all of them, the hardest one to find is MANDOM. Gotta look for the run down little shops. Everything else you can find in big drugstores or supermarkets.

I agree on all of those. I have Lucido, MANDOM, Bravas, MG5, Valcan and Auslese. All great.

I don't think that Eroica is that bad--to me it smells just like Tabac. However Eroica Valient is nice--it is much more citrus. There's also an Eroica EdT that comes in a neat little dark green bottle.

Most of these are under $10 a bottle, so you can stock up without investing too much money.

Of all of them, the hardest one to find is MANDOM. Gotta look for the run down little shops. Everything else you can find in big drugstores or supermarkets.

Agreed. This stuff is becoming more and more rare it seems...and that makes it that much more exciting when you actually do score a bottle of the fabled nectar. Not too many men these days have what it takes to sport something as old skool cool as MANDOM and thus it remains elusive...good luck in thy search my friend.

I like Feather Kanwa which you can only get, afaik, at Classic Shaving. It may be easier to get there.

You know this how?:biggrin1:

Yes...sadly I was once seduced by an Erioca-wearing fake Japanese Santa. He said I'd been a really good boy and could get all the candy canes and mandarin oranges I wanted if I just got in his sleigh. Terrifying stuff. Not this year though Erioca-wearing fake Japanese Santa! I'm wise to your game. :blushing:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member

+1

I don't know how I missed that thread...

I tried MG5, Bravas and Mandom. Love the 3 of them. I still need to try Valcan/Auslese and maybe Lucido... I like it when my AS is scented so that's why I'm unsure...

+1

I don't know how I missed that thread...

I tried MG5, Bravas and Mandom. Love the 3 of them. I still need to try Valcan/Auslese and maybe Lucido... I like it when my AS is scented so that's why I'm unsure...

Valcan is scented, Lucido not--although you do get a little menthol fragrance when you put it on. I don't think that Auslese is unscented, just very light. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Valcan is scented, Lucido not--although you do get a little menthol fragrance when you put it on. I don't think that Auslese is unscented, just very light. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Cheers mate...:001_smile

Top Bottom