Hi everyone, I am new here, and have spent hours watching wet shaving vids (mantic)and reading info on this site. It has been tremendously informative...I never knew just how much there was to getting a good shave.
If you have a moment, let me tell you how I got here. Recently, out of necessity I had to use some of my fathers shaving products. He uses Nivea shave cream and a cheap shave brush as well as a walgreens disposable two blade razor. To my surprise even thought the shave wasn't all that close it was much better than my usual shave with a Mach 3 and Gillette goo.
I have suffered from sever razor bumps all my life. It has been quite painful to shave my whole life. Recently I just gave up on it and grew a light beard, which I hated. So when I felt this shave that was slightly better I instantly went online and watched all of mantics videos about wet shaving and tried to learn all I could. I am desperate.
After watching the vids I hurried down to my local Nordstroms to buy an art of shaving starter pack. Unfortunately the salesman informed me they only sold it online at this particular Nordstroms because of lowered demand (economy), so I settled for an Anthony Logistics starter pack and bought a badger brush from crabtree and evelyn.
I now use the Anthony face wash, pre shave oil, shave cream and aftershave lotion along with witch hazel to shave my face and a bic metal razor (not courageous enough to try a merkur yet).
Anyways, to make this long story even longer, I have been dissapointed to find I still have severe irritation and razor bumps and haven't been able to get the feel I had with that first accidental wet shave (It has only been three shaves since, I only shave twice a week). I was wondering if there were any suggestions you seasoned vets may have to help me. I especially need help with my neck area that is always broken out and looks horrendous.
Here is what I am thinking of trying.
1. Using all Nivea products since that is how I got my first good shave.
2. Using all Proraso, since so many people here rave about it.
3. Not using a brush, since Anthony Logistics isn't meant to be used with a brush.
4. Going back to a Mach 3 and only using a two pass system (WTG, XTG) for less irritation.
5. Buying a Mekur HD with a razor sample pack (although I was laid off last month so money is tight, so this may be the last option)
6. Using an exfoliating scrub on days I shave to help loosen the hair.
7. Using a ingrown hair product I own and that has helped slightly, although I am not sure if I would use this right after shaving, or just go with a shave lotion and then use the other stuff at night (the manufacturer says to use it both times).
8. Going back to the beard look.
If you have read this very long post...thank you. If you have a comment that may help...thank you more. I really wanna be pain free and look better too, after all I am single.