What's new

Cleaning an Injector?

I'm looking at getting an old Injector with a bakelite handle. What's the best way to go about cleaning these? Can you boil them like Gillettes?

I would avoid boiling a bakelite. It might melt. Use scrubbing bubbles and a vinyl/plastic polish for the bakelite area.

Use scrubbing bubbles and a vinyl/plastic polish for the bakelite area.

Yup, that works fine. Lemon-scented "Scrubbing Bubbles", a toothbrush, some patience, and elbow greasse. Also, Q-Tips sometimes get the stuff which even a toothbrush can't loosen.

I also used the "Scrubbing Bubbles" for the handle, and didn't see any visible damage or degradation; but I'll check-into what "vinyl/plastic polishes" are available at my local supermarket.

Cleaning a razor ought to be a once-a-quarter thing; it's certainly easier than washing/waxing/buffing your car (and much less expensive than paying someone else to "detail" it. Of course, with Schick's "E3"-series razors opening (even partially) the blade-clamp assembly is a simple thing, and can be done several times during a shave, as well as part of your regular cleanup, following each shave.

I would avoid boiling a bakelite. It might melt. Use scrubbing bubbles and a vinyl/plastic polish for the bakelite area.

From a brief web search, I find that Bakelite is a thermosetting plastic. It may degrade, but it will not melt like some other plastics.
This blog suggests using boiling, by placing the razor in boiling water and removing it from the heat to allow everything to cool. (This is not the metal Gillette "put a pot full of razors on the stove to boil" method!)

Top Bottom