What's new

Hats?

I had a HUGE vintage collection in college--Borsalino, Dobbs, Knox, etc. I gave most of them away to the Salvation Army a few years ago. Right now I just have one cheapo Pendleton I found at a flea market for $6. I've started to collect nice hats again, but this time I'm sticking with flat caps and newsboys.

Me

I prefer new to vintage, so I go with Optimo out of Chicago and Art Fawcett of Vintage Silhouettes. I think they are probably the two premier hat makers in country or world for bespoke fedoras. I prefer a 2 1/2 inch brim with a crown that's not too tall, but taller than most contemporary ready made hats (Stetson, Baileys, Biltmore, etc.)

The Fedora Lounge is a great source for hat info, and a fantastic place to look for vintage hats.

Last edited:
I have three Akubras, one a Federation I bought new and a couple of ebay specials, the Hampton being my favourite.

I also have several vintage Dunns (an extinct British menswear chain) and a few others lying around including a rather nice stingy Stetson.

I'd say the Fed and the Hampton get the most wear, both Akubras.

Gareth

I agree, but I'm still waiting on my account approval. =/

Me

Me too!

I am thinking about getting one as well. I have a long black wool coat that I plan to wear it with primarily this winter. Since I've never really worn hats, I think I will need to start somewhere that I would feel comfortable wearing it, or at least be wearing another hat anyway. I'd been wearing silly looking ski hats the last few season, so a nice hat would certainly be an improvement. Would most people recommend matching the color of the hat with the coat, if this is obvious, shoot me, I'm totally clueless. What's the deal with ribbons, and do I want one?

Last edited:
If I wore a hat I couldn't show off my bald shaven head. I would look really weird wearing a hat with a bald head...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If I wore a hat I couldn't show off my bald shaven head. I would look really weird wearing a hat with a bald head...

You wouldn't have wanted to tell either of these guys that they looked wierd.
I think you'd look just fine - they do.

I own one very nice Borsolino (vintage-the brand isn't the same since the family sold the company), three Art Fawcet customs, Stetson 10X, one Adventurebilt (everyone HAS to have one of those!), one Vintage Stetson Open Road, and two panamas from Panama Bob for summer use.

Need I say more? I like to wear hats!

I wear a flat cap now but my fedora is on the way! It's a vintage Dobb's Saber in color. It's going under the Christmas tree for a while:thumbdown

Top Bottom