What's new

Home made soap?

For the longest time I've wanted to make my own soap, but like so many things I put it off. Now that I'm enjoying shaving I'm looking to give it a go.
I'm looking for thoughts or suggestions please! I've watched a few videos and read a few scant guides on the process, and I have my heart set on rendering my own tallow. I'm not looking to do commercial quantities, just make some for me and maybe a present here and there. I'd really appreciate advice from those with experience - even if it's that I should not bother.

Krissy (owner of Prairie Creations) spent many months developing her wonderful shaving soap. She had many test batches, and a dedicated batch of testers on this board. The resulting product is top of the line, and considered by many to be on par with Tabac.

Developing a shaving soap that will actually perform at an adequate level is very time consuming, and requires a lot of trial, and error.

Honestly, you should probably start with an easier project your first time out: make a glycerin based melt, and pour shaving soap. Recipes abound on the internet; avoid the ones where the chief ingredient is olive oil. :thumbup1:

Do you have any local craftsmen or colleges that offer classes to get you started? My impression of soap-making is to get it done safely and correctly -as John states above- is very time consuming & may require hands on training not likely obtained online.

Top Bottom