What's new

Lynn Abrams DVD

I am interested in learning the art of the straight razor shave. I have read many of the posts in the forum and know that many of you shave with straights and are very knowledgeable on everything straight. I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy Lynn Abrams World of Straight Razor Shaving DVD before I spend the money on a razor strop etc. Any thoughts about the DVD or other sources of information?

I am interested in learning the art of the straight razor shave. I have read many of the posts in the forum and know that many of you shave with straights and are very knowledgeable on everything straight. I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy Lynn Abrams World of Straight Razor Shaving DVD before I spend the money on a razor strop etc. Any thoughts about the DVD or other sources of information?

The information on the DVD is really superb, and so far, it is the nicest "shaving" production (as far as being most professional) I have seen yet.... but be forewarned it is painfully long and boring. In Lynn's rabid defense, it's shaving your face for christ's sake, it's never going to be exciting, but it's pretty monotone, really a ton of information (read information overload) and pretty painfully boring to watch. Maybe for the newbie eager to take in information, it would be fun/exciting, but I gave it about 20 minutes and had to call it quits, but again, in Lynn's defense, it wasn't the made for fellas who've been shaving with Straight Razors for awhile, but for the new guys who want a one shot deal.

I'll give it this... I submit, everything you'd ever want/need to know about straight razor shaving is contained within that DVD.... IF you can muster watching the whole thing (and i'd suggest taking notes)

I think the DVD is worth every penny. While it is really too long to watch in one sitting, the dvd is broken down into well defined sections - razors, honing, stropping, etc. that can be watched individually. As a newer straight shaver, its been extremely helpful. Just my 2 cents

Jordan

Jim the honing section alone in this DVD will be worth the price of admission to someone new. Seeing the honing procedure will save you allot of time and frustration.

Miles

I too strongly endorse Lynn's DVD. There is a wealth of information and it is broken down into sections. You can go to the parts that are the most useful at the time.
Steve

I bought the DVD recently as my starting point for straight razor shaving (i.e. before I had a razor or anything of the required accessories). Lots of good information about straight razors including what to look for when buying them from sources like ebay, how to hone, strop, restore, shave with. The works. As mentioned earlier the DVD is separated into self contained chapters that disucss a particular topic so it is easy to review the sections that are of interest to you.

A great $20 investment.

Of course you could always go it alone and use the money to buy band-aids. :biggrin:

Well worth the money IMO. Yes it is a long DVD if you sit and watch the lot, but I tend to watch it in sections. As a beginner you just need to watch the stropping/shaving parts, then honing when you you start to hone, restoring when you find an old razor you want to clean up etc.

I think less people would buy it if it was just a 10 min video about shaving, Lynn has certainly covered just about every conceivable question a newbie would have. Put it this way, I paid £75 for a straight shaving lesson at Trumpers. It was ok and I enjoyed it, but I learned way more from Lynns DVD and it was a fraction of the price.

I'll give it this... I submit, everything you'd ever want/need to know about straight razor shaving is contained within that DVD.... IF you can muster watching the whole thing (and i'd suggest taking notes)

You'd better take notes... there's a test at the end.

Definitely a great purchase (possibly a must buy) for anyone interested in straights or for someone just starting out with them. As Joel mentioned it is quite a bit boring (also the chapter stops in the DVD are a bit random) but for a newbie it provides just about all the information one would need.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Okay, great DVD and I will contradict what Joel said and tell you least this old hand learned something new watching it! I always had trouble with upward strokes on my neck. I always use right hand, right side, left hand, left side. I have athin neck and a bit of carpel tunnel syndrom in my right wrist so have difficulty with this on my neck. I had never thought of cross handed shaving on my neck and it worked wonders. For upwards strokes it's right hand left neck, left hand right neck.

So, new or old, it's only $20 and you will learn something. A must for beginners and after watching it only once I contacted Lynn so I could offer them on my website too. Coming soon to a video store near you! <g>.

Tony

A good investment for sure. You can also see Lynn on google video in an abbreviated shave only lesson. $20 is nothing compared to the scratch this hobby and associated xAD's will cost over time so you might as well have a little knowledge to guide those urges to procure...

-Scott-

Thanks for the advice. I just tried to order one from classic shaving and they are out:sad: . Does anyone know another place I can pick one up?

Just placed my order, as well!
Been using a straight for about 3 weeks now...
Damn I'm hooked... or is it the Trumpers Sandlewood with Tallow?

Legion

Staff member
Does anyone know what region code the DVD is? Will it work in an Australian (region 4) DVD player?

I really enjoyed it and have watched it several times. If you plan on using a straight razor i would recommend you buy it.

You could review some segments in Youtube

Top Bottom