What's new

Cologne like Mosswood?

I have a tub of Fraser's Mosswood shaving cream and a bottle of Booster's Mosswood Aftershave. The scent is fantastic. What kind of cologne will pick up on the Mosswood fragrance?

Last edited:
Nid, I just went to The Perfumed Court and checked fragrances by notes. Under "green notes" one can go to moss/mossy. Found Givenchy Pi and a host of others. Have no idea what the Mosswood smells like, but maybe checking The Perfumed Court is a way to start. Sorry I don't have any other ideas.

Do you like Vetiver?

L'Occitane has a really nice Vetiver EdT that might be a good complement to the Mosswood, but I don't have personal experience with this combination to back up my speculation.

Good luck!

I do like Vetiver and I've been meaning to try some others. I have a gigantic bottle (at least it seems that way) of Comme des Garcons Vettiveru and I feel like I'm never going to get through it.

Nid my Man!

I've only done this a few times, but the results are fantastic. I had a sample of Fraser's Mosswood from John@ShavingEssentials - don't have Boosters Aftershave though.

Anyways, after the Mosswood shaves, I would put a couple of sprays of Gucci Pour Homme on meself and they complimented one another beautifully. Not sure if you're familiar with GPH, so read on:

GPH is in my top 5 frags of all-time. Here's the Basenotes poop on it:
http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121989.html
My fave review in there - the poster, Blackhat said:

"Deep, dark, warm, sensual, mystic, mysterious. The imagery that I get is walking into an Orthodox church to escape heavy snowfall on a dark winter night somewhere in the Russian countryside. Great scent!"

Lastly, I do get compliments (which is generally RARE) when I wear this scent.

Best
Carl

Last edited:
Irisch Moos is probably a very good alternative. But their EdT is even more difficult to track down than the other items of the same brand...

Last edited:
+ 1 on the Irisch Moos! I recently got two 150ml's when some friends returned from Germany. Not the same formulation from back in the day, but close enough.

Nid my Man!

I've only done this a few times, but the results are fantastic. I had a sample of Fraser's Mosswood from John@ShavingEssentials - don't have Boosters Aftershave though.

Anyways, after the Mosswood shaves, I would put a couple of sprays of Gucci Pour Homme on meself and they complimented one another beautifully. Not sure if you're familiar with GPH, so read on:

GPH is in my top 5 frags of all-time. Here's the Basenotes poop on it:
http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121989.html
My fave review in there - the poster, Blackhat said:

"Deep, dark, warm, sensual, mystic, mysterious. The imagery that I get is walking into an Orthodox church to escape heavy snowfall on a dark winter night somewhere in the Russian countryside. Great scent!"

Lastly, I do get compliments (which is generally RARE) when I wear this scent.

Best
Carl

Gucci pour Homme, eh? Never tried it. I'll definitely seek it out. Thanks!

I think I read somewhere that oakmoss is endangered and/or just, plain scarce. Perhaps scents based on this ingredient are on the decline.

Nid, it's a fantastic scent. And, you and I have similar tastes - look for it at Marshalls - they usually have a some at this time of year at 24.95 as opposed to its 50.00 retail tag!

I'm going to look for it when I'm doing my Christmas shopping this week.

I googled "oakmoss scarcity" and got a lot of hits. Apparently this scarcity is driving up prices.

Nid - Click on the basenotes review again: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121989.html Check out the first review - the one that starts:
"Though not mentioned in the notes pyramid, here we got the best big oakmoss note ever."
No wonder I felt that Gucci Pour Homme was a fine match for my JMF Mosswood cream! Looks like we have a winner! And, trust me, it's an awesome EDT!

Top Bottom