Undershirt or no?

Which undershirt do you prefer?

• A-Shirt

• T-Shirt

• V-Neck

• None

• Wife beater

Results are only viewable after voting.
OK gents what do you prefer to wear as an undershirt? In this particular instance I'm referring to under a shirt and tie.

We are required to wear a V-neck as the undershirt when in dress uniform (though many people wear an A-shirt anyway). If it can't be seen through the shirt I typically prefer an A-shirt, but if the shirt is sheer I'll wear a V-neck.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I prefer a T shirt under a shirt and tie to prevent any possibility that hair or tattoos might show through the shirt.

I really dislike undershirts for some reason, so "none" for me most of the time. If it's super hot or super cold, than an A-shirt/wifebeater or sleeveless t-shirt (crew neck). My shirts are all thick enough or dark enough that show through is not a problem.

I hate undershirts. I don't know why. I never wear them unless its cold outside. Can someone enlighten me as to the purpose of these things? I do understand how they can make a see through white dress shirt less see through, but that has a simpler solution imho. Is it to prevent sweat from ruining the dress shirt?

Crew neck t-shirt every day, no matter what. Even under other t-shirts. Keeps the deodorant off my 'good' shirts.

I live in the Houston area and I can't fathom going without a t-shirt at any time of the year. I actually find it cooler than going without because they hold the moisture in and that keeps the perspiration from ruining my good shirts and the moisture keeps me "cooler." YMMV

The only time I wear t-shirts is on their own for. I can't stand wearing them as undershirts unless it is really cold out. Then and only then do I wear A-shirt.

I wear a t-shirt under a shirt and tie. To me, the only reason to wear a v-neck is if you are gong to have your collar open a little and don't want the undershirt to show.

I frankly don't understand the a-shirt. For me, the main purpose of an undershirt is to prevent sweating through the outer shirt, and the a-shirt leaves the armpits exposed.

In civilian/dress clothes I like a very thin T-shirt. It cuts back on sweating through to the "good shirt" and does help with see through shirts. To me the A-shirt is an in-between, more for a little added warmth without making one too hot.

I wear a t-shirt under a shirt and tie. To me, the only reason to wear a v-neck is if you are gong to have your collar open a little and don't want the undershirt to show.

I frankly don't understand the a-shirt. For me, the main purpose of an undershirt is to prevent sweating through the outer shirt, and the a-shirt leaves the armpits exposed.

That's the very reason we are required to wear the V-neck because the short sleeve shirt may be worn without a tie (I prefer it w/out a tie) but an undershirt is still required. That and when you have all of the badges and ribbons pinned on your shirt it isn't comfortable against the skin without an undershirt.

Last edited:
V-neck pretty often. Keeps me warm and cuts down on drycleaning..

Rant -
ANNOUNCEMENT - for the love of god and all that is good and pure in this world, please stop wearing crew neck t-shirts under your button ups (with the collars open)... it's soooo faux pas
-end rant

OldSaw

The wife's investment
V-necks for me. Why have one type for a shirt with a tie and another for a shirt that is worn open? So I just keep the one style and wear them nearly every day.

White (sometimes gray or black) t-shirt under almost everything. I'm in the habit from wearing them under dress shirts every day. And I do it for the reasons given above: keeps the shirts nicer longer (to keep sweat and deoderant stains off them) and keeps the shirt from being see-through (I wear white or light blue dress shirts).

A t-shirt is a must under a dress shirt as it greatly extends its life.
Then I must need a T-shirt that goes past my chin, as my pelt and stubble shred my shirts after 15 to 20 wearings. Seriously. I've given up wearing nice clothes because my body hair destroys them so quickly.

My wife bought a spool of Kevlar fiber a number of years ago and knitted a liner into the throat area of a nice cotton sweater that was quickly being chewed up. But my stubble even shredded the Kevlar, though it did slow down the rate of destruction.

I don't wear T-shirts under other shirts because I roast in them, but I do wear them by themselves frequently.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
T-Shirts, summer or winter. For some unknown reasons, I'm unable to wear a shirt alone. I need something under. T-shirt hide tattoos also...

I never used to wear an undershirt but now I always do if I'm wearing a dress shirt. If I don't you can see the 'darkness' that is my chest hair...not too cool at work. A good undershirt actually keeps me cool in the summer and warm in the winter. :thumbup1:

Depends on the weather.
In colder weather I bring out the crew/V neck T's under my dress shirts.
Summer time - nope

Top Bottom