What's new

Does a "photo" printer print regular stuff?

My girlfriend got an $80 all-in-one photo printer scanner copier. I was under the impression that you could stick a black cartridge in it and print documents and normal stuff. IF you bought photo paper and IF you bought fancy cartridges then you can print photos. It also has an card slot to print right from a memory card.

Her dad is telling her to take it back because it can ONLY print photos. He is afraid if she takes it out of the box and installs everything and sets it up she won't be able to take it back when it doesn't work.

So who is right?

Her printer is the Canon Pixma 620

It is a multi-function printer that specializes in printing photos, but can print regular documents as well. Not sure if it will work with just the black cartridge installed.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Both.
And it does both pretty darn well.

From the Canon website;

Printers Attributes
Print Speed (up to)
Color Photo: 4" x 6" borderless photo: approximately 41 seconds6
Black: Up to 26 ppm (as fast as 2.3 seconds per page)6
Color: Up to 17 ppm (as fast as 3.6 seconds per page)6

Number of Nozzles
Black: 320
Color: 2,048
Total: 2,368

Picoliter Size (color)
1, 2 and 5

Print Resolution (up to)
Black: 600 x 600 dpi5
Color: 9600 x 2400 dpi5

Paper Sizes
Letter, Legal, 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10", U.S. #10 Envelopes

Automatic Sheet Feeder
Cassette: 150 Sheets

Last edited:
Pixma printers are pretty nice =)

I used a B/W laserjet at home though. We rarely print color, and if we do need to we can take it somewhere to print.

Thanks guys thats what I thought. But the box just talked about the photo printing and her dad had me second guessing myself.

You sshould be able to turn off the color printing in the options menu. That way you save the color ink for photos etc. That is what I do since 90% of the stuff I print has no need for color.

If you like photos that are of poor quality and fade in 6 months' time, then yes, you can consider it a "photo" printer.

Otherwise, send your photos out to professional printers that use machines that cost a mere $300,000. So, yes, there's a huge difference.

With that said, I would take it back and get something that just prints documents, not specializing in photos. This will save you a bit of money that can be used for other shaving gear.

Top Bottom