What's new

I suprised myself today

When i started wetshaving, i bought a cheapo ebay special straight: basic no-name (carbon steel, i made sure:wink:) blade and black plastic scales. Like this one, only french point: http://cgi.ebay.com/MALIK-Straight-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518ddb5e3f

I used it thrice, until i got my grandpa's Slim. I had all intentions at that point to use this razor as a utility knife. After i lurked about B&B, however, I figured i could at least learn to hone with it. After a good bit of work with a whetstone, 2000 grit paper, and a pasted strop, i was fairly satisfied with my near-HHT results and mirror edge. I was totally immersed in DE shaving at this point, so i stuck the straight in my desk drawer.

Today i decided to do something different. I got out the razor, stropped it, lathered up, and got a DFS out of it :thumbup:. I'm a firm believer that it's not the tool, it's how you use it, and this former *** really seems to live up to that mantra. I'm very close to working it into my regular rotation. The upkeep's the only kicker.

Those razors that we say are junk aren't junk because you can't put an edge on them. You can. They just won't hold the edge for very long.

Take Gugi up on his offer. Try a real straight.

Top Bottom