What's new

Who's shaving with the oldest razor?

It will not be the oldest by a long shot, but the oldest razor I own is a Marshes & Shepherd Ponds Works with a Queen Warrant Mark. The Ponds Works make it to be between 1840-1850.

I have one too, but it's in need of some resto. It has a fair amount of even hone wear, but is otherwise in pretty good condition given it's age.

There was a period when razor makers stamped razor's tangs with the current monarch's initial, followed by an 'R' for Royal. VR, then, denotes that a razor was made during Victoria's reign, WR during William IV's reign and GR during George IV's reign. So I date my Greaves, which is stamped 'GR,' to have been made between 1820 and 1830. At least 179 years old and one of my best shavers. :thumbup:

I'm so glad I saw this thread. I never knew about these stamps.

Well, that just points out something I didn't know and also about an inconsistency in uniclectica (not unheard of, I hear).

My Marshes has a WR stamp, so not queen but rather king William IV's mark, who died in 1837. Uniclectica claims Ponds Works started in 1840, that's incorrect since mine has the Ponds Works stamping on it (Marshes & Shephard itself started in 1825).

So my razor is at least 172 years old :thumbup1:

Were these stamps simply to provide homage to the current monarch, or are they a sign of a royal warrant? It is my understanding that a warrant can continue past the death of the one that awarded it. I've seen it happen on older bowls of Yardley shaving soap, but we're talking about something a bit older here. :biggrin1:

The old Flower is an excellent shaver. On a 1 to 10 scale I would say an 8. But the cool factor is so high that it is one of my favorites.

I have one too, but it's in need of some resto. It has a fair amount of even hone wear, but is otherwise in pretty good condition given it's age.

I'm so glad I saw this thread. I never knew about these stamps.

Were these stamps simply to provide homage to the current monarch, or are they a sign of a royal warrant? It is my understanding that a warrant can continue past the death of the one that awarded it. I've seen it happen on older bowls of Yardley shaving soap, but we're talking about something a bit older here. :biggrin1:

That's a good question. I do know that the warrant can only be used by manufacturers that supply a product to the palace with Royal permit. Whether they can keep using it even if they only supplied one order ever, that I don't know.
It could be in a case like these razors, they used the initials of the last Royal that provided the warrant, but then it could get a bit confusing. <shrug>, it's all speculation on my part.

My source for this information, the "Standard Guide to Straight Razors," doesn't say why makers used these stamps, only that they did. The authors state that the stamp reflects the monarch reigning when the razor was made. I'll take a look tonight and see if there is more information in there.

The old Flower is an excellent shaver. On a 1 to 10 scale I would say an 8. But the cool factor is so high that it is one of my favorites.

No doubt. I'd probably just scrape it across my face anyway, even if it accomplished nothing. Very cool looking razor. You've influenced me to begin my search for the oldest, shave-able razor I can get my hands on. Great, fire SRAD up all over again. :rolleyes:

Jadam: With a restorer like Glen (gssixgun) just about anything is possible. This razor was pitted, dull, and wearing pretty blah scales when it got to ID. What I showed you is how it arrived home in NY.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Reviving an "Old" Thread since I have picked up some nice old blades lately that might qualify here....:thumbup1:

Wade & Butcher "The Celebrated" Fine India Steel Pressed Decorated MOP Horn

W. Greaves & Sons Warranted

John Barber "Old English" sans Masonic Symbol

John Barber "Saint Michael" w/ Masonic Symbol

My oldest. A Roberts Warranted.

Right now, it's getting the Glen treatment. I plan to shave with it as soon as it's home.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
My oldest. A Roberts Warranted.

Right now, it's getting the Glen treatment. I plan to shave with it as soon as it's home.

Very VERY Nice! That one appears to be right up there with the Flowers as the oldest of the Oldies! Enjoy it and please update us when you receive it back!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Great. Now I have to buy a two hundred year old razor. :lol:

Think about it- how many other hobbies feature products that can be that old and still used on a regular basis? Can anyone name any?

I shaved with a sharpened clam shell yesterday, does that count? :tongue_sm:lol:

Cool thread - post more pics of these awesome old razors!

Sharpened? That would represent an evolution in shaving the would indicate having come from the Paleolithic period. Way too new. Find me an un-sharpened clam shell and we'll talk "old". :lol:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Gun collecting:biggrin1:

Great answer, Mark.

But would anyone really use a 200 year old gun regularly? I think there's a difference between being able to use something and being able to use it daily.

Using an ancient gun must be a kick.

Top Bottom