What's new

Who's shaving with the oldest razor?

Hi all,

Here's a couple of travel/mustache razors I recently picked up. The scales are scrimshawed ivory. They are made by Rodgers and the shank markings are pretty old. I have an idea when they would have been made, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys (who know a LOT more than I do about old razors). What do you think?

Best,

Steve

View attachment 578348 $Old Rodgers razor 005.jpgView attachment 578350View attachment 578351View attachment 578352

Legion

Staff member
Hi all,

Here's a couple of travel/mustache razors I recently picked up. The scales are scrimshawed ivory. They are made by Rodgers and the shank markings are pretty old. I have an idea when they would have been made, but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys (who know a LOT more than I do about old razors). What do you think?

Best,

Steve

View attachment 578348View attachment 578349View attachment 578350View attachment 578351View attachment 578352

around 1760-80 is my feeling. They are awesome. I'm jelous.

Last edited:
I love this thread. so much history, so many incredible blades. I can add my somewhat recent acquisition to the list. Its a bit of a mystery one, but between here and another forum, it seems to most likely to date to between 1787 and 1810, most likely (in my mind at least) between the later 1790's and right around 1800.

proxy.php

Can't make out most of the maker mark, but I believe it says "Shepherd" or something along those lines.
proxy.php

I know it's not super old but it's my great grandfathers. I have been having trouble dating it. It looks like earliest maybe 1870.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
I don't think it is that old. I would be betting more likely 1920's-30's. looks like he must have ground out a big chip!

I don't think it is that old. I would be betting more likely 1920's-30's. looks like he must have ground out a big chip!

It isn't honed or anything at the moment. It's more of a keepsake. I've been trying to find some vintage straights but there's not much around the oilfields of west Texas.

Legion

Staff member
It isn't honed or anything at the moment. It's more of a keepsake. I've been trying to find some vintage straights but there's not much around the oilfields of west Texas.

To be honest, half that blade is missing, hence my comment about your grandfather removing a big chip. That is the way the blade looks, with little hone wear on the spine, but lots of blade gone. It changes the geometry of the blade, so I am afraid it will never be much of a shaver again. Cool family keepsake though. I would maybe make a little box frame and put it on display, and try to track down something a little easier to use.

If you need a shave ready straight to start with there are plenty of places who will post one to you. Try putting a WTB in our sales area.

To be honest, half that blade is missing, hence my comment about your grandfather removing a big chip. That is the way the blade looks, with little hone wear on the spine, but lots of blade gone. It changes the geometry of the blade, so I am afraid it will never be much of a shaver again. Cool family keepsake though. I would maybe make a little box frame and put it on display, and try to track down something a little easier to use.

If you need a shave ready straight to start with there are plenty of places who will post one to you. Try putting a WTB in our sales area.

I recently picked up a boker celebration from my local shop. It is on its way to lee right now for a homing. $IMG_4066.jpg

Top Bottom