What's new

Who's shaving with the oldest razor?

William Evatt. I know of one other in existence in the UK but that one has an ever so slightly more refined design. I'm guessing mine is older by a hair. He worked from 1791-1805. If you think my packwood looked bad, that looked like a piece of coral when I bought it. That one is a prime example of a razor to treat with kid gloves. I just took off the corrosion and made sure the rest was stable. The bevel area is amazingly free and clear for the most part so if the temper is good, I am confident it will hone. I need to send it for an exploratory trip to the stones one of these days.:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Main at all I must to present mysels, I´m Robert from Galiza, a little county in the northern Spain. You can see it in my horrible english, sorry, I spect you could undertand me. My colectin, and all my razors in use are english razors, I prefer them to shave me and The Shefield subtailed for me are the most interesting to study the razors evolution. The question, what are my aoldest one?, is dificult to complain, If I can I´ll present you only five of my razors collection, if you could see the photo you can follow me easily, The fist on the top, is an archeological one, made in Spain provably, I´m not sure about the use, nevertheless a lot of profesionals mark this knifes like razors, Around 16th century......:blushing: The next , left to rigth is a Shepherd one, with his usually mark, WOLF crowned, around 1780, then maybe a french one, I´m not sure because I have two or three razors untailed marked in Eyan and Norfolk, For me is not sure all the untailed razor must be french, nevertheless around 1780-90, Then a Milns & Flower, Charles Milns & Richard Flower was disolved in 1800, provabli 1780, And an ivory subtailed, carved, Osborn, sure before 1810, well, I´ll present my razors with a better camera...:blush:, regard and thanks to recive me.$P5121339.jpg

Main at all I must to present mysels, I´m Robert from Galiza, a little county in the northern Spain. You can see it in my horrible english, sorry, I spect you could undertand me. My colectin, and all my razors in use are english razors, I prefer them to shave me and The Shefield subtailed for me are the most interesting to study the razors evolution. The question, what are my aoldest one?, is dificult to complain, If I can I´ll present you only five of my razors collection, if you could see the photo you can follow me easily, The fist on the top, is an archeological one, made in Spain provably, I´m not sure about the use, nevertheless a lot of profesionals mark this knifes like razors, Around 16th century......:blushing: The next , left to rigth is a Shepherd one, with his usually mark, WOLF crowned, around 1780, then maybe a french one, I´m not sure because I have two or three razors untailed marked in Eyan and Norfolk, For me is not sure all the untailed razor must be french, nevertheless around 1780-90, Then a Milns & Flower, Charles Milns & Richard Flower was disolved in 1800, provabli 1780, And an ivory subtailed, carved, Osborn, sure before 1810, well, I´ll present my razors with a better camera...:blush:, regard and thanks to recive me.View attachment 447263

You have some very old and very nice straights! I kinda feel bad not knowing about Galiza, I had to google it. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot, if you want to find my land, unfortunely you must find Galicia, Galiza is the cotrrect name but is not the name acepted for our colonist, Spain. Regards

Roberto,

There are many shavers who like La Toja shaving products and these come from Galicia, I believe.

Personally, I like your wines, white Ribeiros and - as I generally prefer reds - Valdeorras.
And finally, there is Santiago de Compostela that some may better remember from the Martin Sheen/Emilio de Estevez movie "The Way".

Galicia may not be widely known by name, but it certainly has much to offer.
i am sorry for the Spanish spelling, but the original Galiza name may become more widely used with time...

Last edited:
Roberto,

There are many shavers who like La Toja shaving products and these come from Galicia, I believe.

Personally, I like your wines, white Ribeiros and - as I generally prefer reds - Valdeorras.
And finally, there is Santiago de Compostela that some may better remember from the Martin Sheen/Emilio de Estevez movie "The Way".

Galicia may not be widely known by name, but it certainly has much to offer.
i am sorry for the Spanish spelling, but the original Galiza name may become more widely used with time...

Many many thanks

Well one for one, I´m used your posts so it will be a nastiness if I don´t show you my littel ones, first two one a standas Sheppard, and another one Eyam. I couldn´t find any information abaut it, only could placed the city of Eyam, by the form of the tail, it seems to be quite old, but washers are a bit smaller than they must be. I´m not sure, any help....:001_rolle thanks again$P5121347.jpg$P5121341.jpg$P5121343.jpg$P5121345.jpg

Does anyone have a clue how old this W&B is? Based on the blade design I'd say it's an older model. The tang just say's Wade&Butcher and an ankor. No other inscriptions, adornments or washings or stuff like that. The scales are not origins I might add.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Does anyone have a clue how old this W&B is? Based on the blade design I'd say it's an older model. The tang just say's Wade&Butcher and an ankor. No other inscriptions, adornments or washings or stuff like that. The scales are not origins I might add.

Are the scales originals?, for me is a new wedge, victorian age, around 1860 the tail is quite carcteristic. well only an opinion. regards

Its obviously a fake, probably a Pakistani razor. I can take it off your hands if you wish :-D

Its surprisingly in good shape, for what looks like it would be one of the earliest W&B razor. Sorry I'm of no help to guess its age.

The anchor apears in the catalogue of 1919, but provably it was used before. It´s obbiuly the trade mark W&B that lived during the 20th century, the original formed by Robert Wade and William Buttcher desapear in 1825 because the die of Robert Wade, One of the firs and short in time razors that compose the partnership into Rober and William is the one I´ll show you, dated by the G R crowned, (Georges IV 1820-30) marked in the end of the blade, look the particular washers, quite comuns into the razors that born arond the first 30 years of the 19th century, regards

$P5121351.jpg

Got this a while ago but it's not so much old as it may be rare. 1850 or so. I'm honing it up now to use it.
It belonged to the Marquis de Goulaine. The 11th Marquis still working the oldest family business in Europe at 1000 yrs. now. The Chateau is still in the family and construction was started in the year 970.
It has been verified by the French Heritage Collection. The history of these Papillon razors is fascinating.
This one has had painted Whale bone scales, etched blades.
I do have others in my collection that may be older but this I think is just too cool. I got it from a private collector in Palm Springs.

That's quite some razor. So you hold the blade in place inside the handle?

Have you had a chance to use it?

It's held pretty much the same as any razor but more of a grip on the shaft.
I did hone it as the post indicates and shaved with it that same night. Both blades shaved incredibly well. I would love to use it more often as it could easily be one of my favorites but I hesitate due to the provenance . It would be my luck to drop it on the tile floor. Discretion in this case may be the better part of valor. But I'm sure I'll use it again.

It's held pretty much the same as any razor but more of a grip on the shaft.
I did hone it as the post indicates and shaved with it that same night. Both blades shaved incredibly well. I would love to use it more often as it could easily be one of my favorites but I hesitate due to the provenance . It would be my luck to drop it on the tile floor. Discretion in this case may be the better part of valor. But I'm sure I'll use it again.

I did a search for papillon razors after looking at this one and discovered that in French TTO DE razors are also referred to using this word (which makes sense, in retrospect). Are papillon-style razors largely/only French-made? Are they confined to a particular era?

It really is a beautiful looking object. Perhaps you'll have to find a heavily carpeted room to shave in....

Top Bottom