What's new

In Praise of LARGE Brushes!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I just want to do a BIG Shoutout for LARGE brushes and the gentlemen who prefer them. Back in the early days of B&B a man selected a large Vulfix, Savile Row, Shavemac, et all and totally enjoyed that huge lathering experience. It took me close to 3 years but I have as of my aquisition of my Vulfix #41 come around to this luxury enjoyment. Oh yes, I also owned a massive Kent BK 12 in the past.... Traded to Fredrick in Belgium for a Chubby 1 in Super that went the way of a massive instant shave den sale two years ago this month.

My other brushes pale in comparison to the large level of satisfaction the #41 brings me almost daily now. The only serious upgrade I could possibly acquire would be a #24 Plisson. Watch this space for updates!

Last edited:
I just want to do a BIG Shoutout for LARGE brushes and the gentlemen who prefer them. Back in the early days of B&B a man selected a large Vulfix, Savile Row, Shavemac, et all and totally enjoyed that huge lathering experience. It took me close to 3 years but I have as of my aquisition of my Vulfix #41 come around to this luxury enjoyment. Oh yes, I also owned a massive Kent BK 12 in the past.... Traded to Fredrick in Belgium for a Chubby 1 in Super that went the way of a massive instant shave den sale two years ago this month.

My other brushes pale in comparison to the large level of satisfaction the #41 brings me almost daily now. The only serious upgrade I could possibly acquire would be a #24 Plisson. Watch this space for updates!

you are on the verge of snagging that #24, aren't you?

...or is it already in hand?

Amen brother! My first brush was a small, Vulfix PBB...great brush but it just felt too small in my hands.

My Shavemac 177 is AWESOME however...something about the size of the brush on the face. I know I'm losing lather buried deep in its hairs...but thats why my last pass I squeeze it all out and cover my face. Great brush, great shave and great feel!

I'm really fond of the bigger brushes too, but when I say big, I mean P16... I've enjoyed the B&B LE '06 brush that was deemed floppy :001_rolle

However, I'm on the verge of having only a 3 P16 rotation (plus a couple of boar brushes)... P 16 = Happy Paul

I have a large Kent, a 30mm Savile Row, and a 30mm Shavemac D01. Nothing beats a large brush on the days that I use creams. :w00t: They really hold heat, and hold a ton of lather.

Mmmmm. . . :001_wub:

-- John Gehman

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I have a large Kent, a 30mm Savile Row, and a 30mm Shavemac D01. Nothing beats a large brush on the days that I use creams. :w00t: They really hold heat, and hold a ton of lather.

Mmmmm. . . :001_wub:

-- John Gehman

EXACTLY John!

I will admit Dr. P is correct (as always) The #24 Plisson is simply a display model. Looks like Im sticking to the Vulfix #41 afterall.

I have a Vulfix 377, which is a 26mm knot size, 55m loft in super badger. I primarily face-lather, use only creams, and do require more product for sufficient lathering, but love the luxurious feel of this brush for face lathering. Having said that, I can't possibly imagine using a larger knot size. The B&B LE 09 has me intrigued, due to the extra dense knot, but is smaller (22mm knot), so have a decision to make.

Anybody care to hazard a guess regarding the LE 09 - whether it would be a good fit for somebody who likes the luxurious feel of larger knot sizes?

I like using big brushes on soaps too... I've not had any problem lathering up my good stuff... Why only pamper yourself on cream days?

I think everyone should own one large brush.

It depends on your mood on a particular day; sometimes you want a good old scrub with a small, stiff brush to wake you up in the morning.

Other times you want that extra indulgence with a high end cream and scuttle....

I've stopped thinking of brushes in terms of soap or cream/face or bowl. I choose a brush that will give me the desired face-feel that day.

Also, I think that if you only ever own ONE brush, it should be medium, around 24mm knot.

If you want variety, you should own one small and one large for two completely different experiences.

John

I always preferred smaller face-lathering brushes, but I must say that owning a large brush is great! I've got a Two-band CH2 that I love, even though it is by far my biggest brush

The first brush I made was a high loft 24mm best that I thought was the perfect brush until I made a short loft 20mm silvertip. I now have two short loft 20mm silvertips, and a gentleman in the eastern half of the US owns the 24mm. I find I like the combination of the scrubbing and the backbone of the smaller diameter silvertip knots...

I will admit Dr. P is correct (as always) The #24 Plisson is simply a display model. Looks like Im sticking to the Vulfix #41 afterall.
I also enjoy larger brushes...the Plisson 16 and 18 in two band are two of my favorites. I also enjoy the Simpson Chubby 3 and 2, and the Polo 10.

The P24 is indeed a monster, but it makes a fine display piece:
proxy.php

Last edited:
I also enjoy larger brushes...the Plisson 16 and 18 in two band are two of my favorites. I also enjoy the Simpson Chubby 3 and 2, and the Polo 10.

The P24 is indeed a monster, but it makes a fine display piece:
proxy.php

I'm confused... Can it be used as an everyday brush if someone were so inclined, or is it really just for display:001_huh:

Top Bottom