What's new

Acquisitions 6 Dec. to 12 Dec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
10.98 worth of stuff.
Talk about quality service from everyone. I won't explain the details but in short I was taken care of very well by Ogallala Bay rum and West Coast Shaving. SCORE!!!!

As a newbie I'm just starting and realise I could end up spending a fortune on kit. However, I couldn't help myself and bid on 2 seperate items on ebay...both listed as vintage Gillettes. Think that they're both exactly the same model :blush: English Tech with aluminium handle. Can't complain as they were both less than £5.00 (including p&p). One came with Bakelite case and a single blade holder, had a couple of rust marks but where a blade had been left in but they've come off with some anti-bacterial dish soap and a little elbow grease. The second one looks in mint condition (has U 4 on the underside). Will post pics asap.

Not wetshaving related, SWMBO's grandfather just gave me a Sunbeam Shavemaster Model 140. He told me he bought it in 1949 and it still works and been packed away for years.

The screen has a small hole in it so it's not shave ready, but sure make for a bit of family history being passed down.

My Gold Dollar razor from Mr. Parko finally arrived. Took it almost a full month to get here.

Gold Dollar 66. $12 shipped. It looks like it will be a decent shaver once I get it honed up well.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
3 things this week.

11/16 - Gotta 120 - Finest Silver steel forged and ground in Solingen Germany
picture.php

And

Nui shaving cream - Zanzibar with clove and cinnamon
HBG Sandalwood aftershave

I still wasn't able to make the shaving cream lather and the AS smells like cheap vodka... :bored:

proxy.php

Last week I bragged on a gold Rocket I bought from a B&B member - it is a great shaver, but as it is nearly pristine I don't want to shave with it TOO often - so I cast about for a nickel Rocket and happened across this one on dbay. This is much nicer than I expected or hoped for!

...I thought I was finished buying razors. sheesh.

I got a $5.00 (Can.) Tip-Top at a flea market today, in a mismatched (King Cutter) box. Sorry, no pics. Maybe once I get my wife's camera, her computer and mine to all play nice together I can post some.
(EDIT: OK got some pics but I still need to work them over with Photoshop before I post them - plus I need to learn how to take decent photos of shiny things)

It is about a 5/8 with faux ivory scales (I guess they are fake. I can see fairly regular striations in them, running from one end to the other. I dunno. Maybe real ivory has a grain in it?) One of the scales is a bit bent, so the blade hits the scale when it closes. There is a bit of dirt on the scales, but most comes off just rubbing with my fingernail. "Tip-Top" enclosed in a diamond/lozenge is inlaid in the 'front' scale, probably steel (but maybe some kind of silver?) The blade has several rust spots and may have some pitting when I clean up the rust. There is a bit of a curve in the edge. Not enough to call it a Smile. Maybe just a Smirk.
The blade says "Tip Top" with again "Tip-Top" enclosed in a lozenge between the two words. Then 23 and the Tip-Top and lozenge engraved on the tang, and "MADE & GROUND IN SOLINGEN-GERMANY" engraved on the back of the tang.

Other acquisitions today, not shaving related:

A Tuckett's Preferred Perfectos cigar box, about 6"x4"x1 1/2" in not bad condition. I has a "series of 1867" tax sticker on it, but I doubt that means the box is that old. 12 bucks.
EDIT: Got a better pic.
View attachment 79005

Dumb Ditties album. $1
proxy.php

K-Tel Hot Tracks album. $1. I haven't even looked to see what the tunes are. But the album cover is gorgeous!
EDIT: Got a better pic.
picture.php

And finally, for $3.00, a Journey Greatest Hits album. Again, the three bucks is for the cover art.
proxy.php

Last edited:
[***** & WHINE]Having a hard time with the uploading pictures here. In the post above while I was Previewing it the Hot Tracks and Tuckett's pictures were fine. Once I finalized they just showed as a link called "Attachment " but the link went nowhere. Tried to create an album and link to that. I could only upload one picture[/***** & WHINE]

Anyway: more acquisitions.

I bit the bullet and got the Canuck. It's a 5/8 and the "Jones Bros & Co Toronto" (not "Jones & Bros.") is engraved in script on the back of the tang. I wiped it gently with some Silvo and some of the blue speckles I mentioned disappeared, some got spread out like wiping gasoline across a wet plank. I think I'll either continue with the Silvo or work it over with a very fine rubbing compound. There are some faint scratches on it. I doubt Silvo will do anything other than shine them: probably go to the rubbing compound.
Pretty sure the scales are real wood, probably ebony. Just at the edges they show a teeny bit paler. The vendor says ebony usually is lighter and doesn't go really dark/black until it is oiled. Possibly just clean the scales and re-oil them.
Plus some work on the pins to recentre the blade, some light honing and give it a try!

Also picked up two rough ones for $20.00 the pair.
One is quite thin, about 7/16, and may have been ground back a bit at the tip as it looks to be about 3/16 from the wedge when it is closed. There is a bit of rust on the edge including a fairly established one about 1/8" from the tip. I may have to take the edge back about a 32nd. There is a notch in the tip, but there is some unbalanced shaping to it, so I suspect it either was user added, or has been 'touched up' by the previous owner. The notch is SMALL! About 3/16 wide by 1/16 deep. There is no marking/name on it anywhere. The pins are snug and the blade centers nicely between the scales when closed. The scales are black, a bit dirty and a bit of light scratching. I can't tell by looking what material they are, but I doubt they are wood (they are at most 1/8 thick and bend and return quite easily)

The second one is a 4/8 "Imperial Razor Warranted" (on the front of the tang) from "Toronto Cuttlery Co" (on the back of the tang), in a pretty worn case with "Imperial Razor Warranted" impressed in it. I was interested to note that the spine has a slight 'swayback' curve to it. This razor is in much rougher shape than the one above. The scales are pretty much the same as the other, but the blade has a 1/4 by 1/4" triangle broken off the tip, plus two 1/16" chips and myriad other tiny nicks. The tip sits approx 5/16" back from the wedge when it is closed. I'll probably have to take almost 3/32 to 1/8 off before I get a clean edge. Since I'll have to grind the tip back 1/4" to clear the broken area, I'm thinking about making up a shorter pair of scales for it.

Once I got back home I realized I'd seen a shaving mug with a fairly nice Italian brush in it and I'd forgotten entirely to ask about it.
:scared:
( ^--- O.K. now that is just WRONG! The Smiley code for that is ": scared :" but it definitely looks like someone with a handlebar moustache!)

Merry Christmas to me!

X1 black tip (aluminum handle)
proxy.php

B2 red tip
proxy.php

G3 Aristocrat (doesn't he look... natural?)
proxy.php

Kent AP8 - to replace a BK8 I traded off... this from Judge Mental - thanks & thanks, B&B!
proxy.php

and... Blenheim Bouquet SC; vintage Wrisley Shaving Soap
proxy.php

the superspeeds are darned close to mint - from a private sale; the Aristocrat is mint (from dbay); the Wrisley from B&B - thanks, OneRand, thanks, B&B!

who can say what tomorrow might bring?

Jon

ADs - can't shake 'em.
Don't want to!

proxy.php

Last week I bragged on a gold Rocket I bought from a B&B member - it is a great shaver, but as it is nearly pristine I don't want to shave with it TOO often - so I cast about for a nickel Rocket and happened across this one on dbay. This is much nicer than I expected or hoped for!

...I thought I was finished buying razors. sheesh.

12 days of Christmas, Jon, or More?

Truly, some beautiful items.

Congrats

I've just had a 1974 U1 SS turn up from Amishmotorboat. I went looking for my birth razor months ago and gave up. I was only browsing fleabay when I saw it at a great price so I bought it. I have cleaned it and need to polish it up next to get a few water marks off it. I'm very happy with it so many thanks Amishmotorboat.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom