What's new

Blade advice

My 3rd try with my new DE (Merkur Classic Hefty). Bathroom looked like a crime scene this morning. Blood, toilet tissue wads, me screeming from the styptic, 1/4 of my chin laying in the sink. I didn't even get a nice shave after all of that. I think I remember someone recommending a less expensive drugstore blade for beginners. ("More forgiving" was the phrase.) Does this simply mean a duller blade? Currently, I'm using (read slicing my face with) Merkurs. Should I get some cheapies or just tough it out (and get an O+ transfusion)?

Also, is it necessary to take a day off and let the one particularly bad wound heal? Is it likely to open up again tomorrow morning?

Maybe I should just grow a beard:huh:.

Thanks in advance.

I have never tried them but I hear Merkurs are terrible blades. Send me a PM with your address if you are in the USA and I will send you some better blades.

Merkur blades are not held in high regard around here. That said, your results suggest that your problem is not a blade issue but a technique issue. It sounds like your are using too much pressure and/or have the incorrect blade angle. By all means get some different blades (Derby or Personna) but take a look at the beginner section threads and re-visit mantic's videos on youtube. Keep at it though. Your effort will be rewarded.

Merkurs have been often mentioned on this site as a blade with a mind of its own (read: a mind that wants to cut you). You wouldn't be better off going with cheap blades; you'd be better off getting some decent blades, but something other than Merkur. You might want to try Feather, Derby, Gillette, etc...

Don't grow a beard. There are most likely several issues going on. First and foremost is
Shaving Preperation. Make sure you are prepping your beard properly. Improper prep can easily lead to a "crime scene". Several excellent threads here on how to prep your face. Second, I would avoid at all costs cheap blades. My suggestion is to order a razor blade sample pack from westcoastshaving.com. Thirdly, make sure your Shaving Technique (razor blade angle to face) is correct. If the angle is too closed your razor will not cut any hair. If angle of blade is too open, you will scrape your face, causing irritation and razor burn and most likely create opportunities to nick and cut yourself. And lastly, Go Slow. Have patience and before long you will be experiencing fine quality shaves. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

Last edited:
The Merkur blades are not really good , but i doubt that's why your shave ended up in a crime scene.
Maybe you should check your technique, proper angle, no pressure.
Good luck.

You can try and hone your technique with a more forgiving razor. I use the Wilkinson Sword plastic DE razor and it is very forgiving which allowed me to fine tune my technique - going to start with a HD next week and hopefully I won't slice myself up!

FYI I have used cheap blades, 7 Oclock yellows, derbys, personna red and iridium supers in the razor and I hated the derbys and the cheap ones, loved the rest.

I haven't used the razor daven1986 recommends, but I started with a Merkur HD and I think it's fine for beginners. As mentioned above, the blade may be your problem, and probably your technique (blade angle and pressure) also need some work. I started with Derby blades, but I'm also working my way through a West Coast Shaving blade sampler.

As for the wounds, I hope you exaggerated them for comic effect. By all means take a day off if you think shaving might be irritating. You might also shop for a little witchhazel and an alum block, if you don't have these already.

Watching some videos may help with your blade angle and general technique. Here's a link for mantic's video channel.
To work on your blade angle, start with the razor head flat against your skin (blade angle = 0 degrees) and slowly tilt the razor until you have blade exposure (around 30 degrees). You could try this on your arm (without a blade, then with a blade) so that you can see the angle clearly.

+ 1 for al the above, be sure to ditch the merkur blades.

BTW welcome aboard, it will get better as you improve your technique and find the blade that works for you.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Merkur are not as bad, they're just overpriced for what you get. You can find something cheaper and better. I mean, the blade work, just not the best option (quality/price).

A razor blade sample pack is the way to go to find what you need, as mentionned up here!

Blades to try, usually it goes to Feather, Astra Superior Platinum, Derby, Personna red. That would be a good start!

Welcome to B&B. Yeah, the Merkur blades really do suck. Get a good blade sample pack from West Coast Shaving. You should be able to find a good blade(s) there. :thumbup:

I agree with the tips about technique - I found that once I started trying better blades (compared to my supermarket blades) that I needed to improve technique to avoid nicks etc.

I just tried an astra blade today and it was crap. It tugged at the hairs and wouldn't cut nicely. Switched to a crystal platinum and it was great. I will give the astras one more go but they aren't off to a good start and tbh there are so many good blades out there for a good price (red pack personnas for example) that they don't really stand much chance! Derbys were bad too, but that may have been technique - again they will be revisited.

Best idea is to get a sample pack that contains at least:
- derby extra
- red pack personnas
- iridium supers
- gillette 7 o'clock (i got the yellows)
- feather
- crystal platinum

and see what you like. Everyone likes something different but the merkurs get bad reviews and they are expensive. The personnas are about £10 for 100 which is good!

Top Bottom