What's new

Final Pass Using Water Only?

Greetings Gents,

As most of you know, I use a straight razor the majority of the time. When I do use a DE I stick to the same shaving routine, including using water-only for my final touch-up pass. Has anyone else tried this?

I should mention that beginners still learning proper form shouldn't try this.

You str8 guys have skin like leather :wink: . I can do a couple of areas for touch up without hitting the lather, but an entire pass? No way - my skin would be hating life.

I don't do an entire pass with just water, but I do find that it is easier to touch up with just water and a straight vs water and a DE!

Randy

When you say "water only", do you really mean "water only"?

If I wet my face after a pass, I usually still have quite a lot of slickness from my previous pass and could theoretically do it.

Do you thoroughly wash all lather from your face before doing the "water only" pass?

I usually do my final, light touch up with water only, but I still have a bit of lather slickness remaining on my face (so it is not really water only).

I do this when shaving my head. I will rinse my head off then run my hand around looking for the touch up spots, then wet my hand and razor and then buff it a little.

Water only for touch-ups. I don't really have much lather slickness left, so it really is pretty much water only.

I spoke to a barber a few months ago..and asked him why his face was soo red..his reply "for the last 50 years..been shaving with my straights and water ONLY..no aftershave"..when I was a teenager growing up during the depression, shaving cream wasnt cheap..straights would last forever when well taken care of..so..thats what I still do to this day...man I was speechless...

Since I started to face lather only, I do my final pass + touch ups with water only, since I generally create a thicker more dense lather, when I face lather compared to when I bowl lathered.

I have a lot of cream left on my skin before the final pass - so I actually prefer this instead of relathering.
It also saves on the time I have to spend on cleaning my face after the shave, since I have almost no shaving cream residue left after doing the final pass with only water.

If I use a cream with little to no slickness and I feel I have no cream left on my skin for the final water-only pass, I will relather for my final pass...... YMMV

Wow, I can't believe the revival time on this thread. I just use the soap left in my brush for any touch-ups, and a full lather for the final pass.

Top Bottom