What's new

Alex Jacques Custom Damascus

Alex Jacques fully custom Damascus (pattern welded steel) straight razor, ~15/16”, wedge/quarter hollow grind (I don’t like knit-picking grinds, see photos below), thin carbon fiber 6k weave scales, G11 wedge. The Damascus was custom made by the well known knifemaker and damascus producer Delbert Ealy. It is an O1/L6 combination ideal for straight razors. The pivot pin is made of a barrel pivot with torx screws. The scales are thin, UV resistant carbon fiber and feel GREAT in hand.

A NOTE on the Photos below: Keep in mind that these photos are pre-honing (the edge in the photos looks thick/blemished doesn’t it? lol). Along the edge of the razor you may notice a shiny strip where the steel is not etched though- this is not the honed bevel, but rather a section where I used a ‘resist’ to keep the etch from bringing out the pattern in the steel. Some makers argue that this makes it easier to hone a good edge and prevents the etching process from pitting the edge of the razor. After honing, I found no real need for it. I probably will not do this on future razors, but on this particular piece, it does not affect the razor’s functionality or aesthetics in any way.

I love it when Alex Jacques speaks in the 3rd person. :laugh: :tongue_sm

Great work, Alex and Delbert. :thumbup: That Damascus steel has some of the prettiest and most elegant lines that I've ever seen. It looks like a black wood. I love the pins. They're not gaudy but they're still different.

Why did you pick the black wedge? There's nothing wrong with it at all. I'm asking whether you thought of using another color.

Why did you pick the black wedge? There's nothing wrong with it at all. I'm asking whether you thought of using another color.

It's not actually black- it's that light green G11 color. Some guys call it 'jade ghost'. It's just pretty transparent, so the black of the scales on either side influence the look. In person it looks different- sort of glassy. Hard to explain.

Very very NICE blade, that will be a SHAVER.

But I just love those scales, so thin, look awsome.

Gongrat, you made a realy good looking razor.:thumbup:

Titanium is a fairly ductile metal (although to what extent depends on whether you're using pure titanium and if not what alloy). I've certainly noticed this with my titanium watch...

Remember that strong does not mean brittle or that it's not a soft metal.

Beautiful stuff, man!

Some of the guys around here (including myself) have been talking about using carbon fiber for scales. How hard is that stuff to work with? Does it take anything special to cut/sand it? I've never really worked with it, but have been wanting to try it. Now, after seeing this, I want to even more! Again, that thing looks great!

Doh, I just couldn't help trying to find out myself. I ordered some carbon fiber off of McMaster-Carr as well as some titanium sheets to use as a liner. Let's hope that my respirator works really well...

Beautiful stuff, man!

Some of the guys around here (including myself) have been talking about using carbon fiber for scales. How hard is that stuff to work with? Does it take anything special to cut/sand it? I've never really worked with it, but have been wanting to try it. Now, after seeing this, I want to even more! Again, that thing looks great!

EDIT: Oh, and you can cut it with a saw or snippers if it's thin enough. Bike mechanics use an ordinary saw to cut carbon fiber forks. It's basically just plastic impregated with carbon fiber strands. Now kevlar, on the other hand, is a huge pain to cut from what I understand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom