What's new

Space. It's very very big.

"You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams

Interesting stuff, indeed. That's a pretty cool picture. Kind of makes me want to go out there and see it for myself.

Very cool.

What's even more mind-blowing is when you realize that everything we're looking at from 13 billion years is ago is probably gone by now, burned out, black holed, brown dwarfed and gone since we' re really looking into the past. And by the time the first light from our galaxy reaches that portion of space, our galaxy will have been extinguished for billions of years as well.

Considering how durned big and old the universe is, and how such a tiny portion of it actually consists of mass, it pretty much buries the whole "the universe was created for mankind's benefit" argument. In terms of cosmic importance or relevance of influence, the entire planet Earth wouldn't register a Plank's length worth of influence.

Jeff in Boston

Very cool.

What's even more mind-blowing is when you realize that everything we're looking at from 13 billion years is ago is probably gone by now, burned out, black holed, brown dwarfed and gone since we' re really looking into the past. And by the time the first light from our galaxy reaches that portion of space, our galaxy will have been extinguished for billions of years as well.

Considering how durned big and old the universe is, and how such a tiny portion of it actually consists of mass, it pretty much buries the whole "the universe was created for mankind's benefit" argument. In terms of cosmic importance or relevance of influence, the entire planet Earth wouldn't register a Plank's length worth of influence.

Jeff in Boston

There are some who would completely disagree with you, myself included. Therefore this is definitely not the place for such a discussion and I hope we stop it before it begins. I hate to see this thread get locked.

Top Bottom