What's new

Newbie questions

Hello all. I just started wet shaving a couple of weeks ago. My brother got me started. He sent me everything I needed to get started except a brush. I bought a vulfix 1001 brush and got going.

I just wondered if you veterans could give me any advice. Every morning I shave, my face burns all the way to work. I have watched all the mantic59 videos on you tube for some pointers. I try to keep my razor at a 30 degree angle and use no pressure, but I still get irritation and have stubble left over. It may just be a learning curve, but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am using a DE razor and am rotating blades after 2-3 shaves. I have tried two creams (erasmic cream and crabtree and evelyn sienna), and one soap (col. conk). I don't know if my lather is wrong or my technique is bad. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ben

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Practice lathering. Put it on your hand and see if it's slick and thick. See if it holds up or breaks down after a few minutes. Adjust your lathering technique accordingly.

Repeat the mantra in your head as you shave, over and over;

No pressure.
Really - not less pressure, NO pressure

Go slow
If you think your going too slow, then go slower. This is not about getting done quickly.

Correct angle
30 degrees is a guideline, this angle can seem to be off due to the different types of heads on razors or the curvature of your face. If the angle is not enough, the side of the blade scrapes your skin as you cut the hair.
Try starting with the razor against your face and the handle parallel to the floor. Slowly lower the handle until the blade starts cutting. That is where you need to be. If you keep lowering the handle, you will begin to scrape the skin.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress.

try different blades first as well, i found different levels of comfort from my samples and settled on Astras.

Also what is your DE razor that you're using?

I think the most important information is with what Lumpsuper has said, no pressure can't be stressed enough. Also you may need an aftershave balm to soothe your skin afterwards?

stuble means razor is not making even contact with skin, burning skin can be from many things including allergic rx to soap, after shave, improper blade alignment, skin condition; my first inclination is to check your razor for proper blade position and can it move around. If razor is good, do You pull skin tight to give razor a flat plane to work on? maybe a splash of witch hazel before shaving to tighten skin. Remember until the 1970s all men shaved this way and I don't recall a lot of problems "back then"

Hey, fellas. I'm actually the brother that got him started. He doesn't get to the computer too often, so I'll tell you what he has. I PIF'd him a Gillette Tech, the creams and soap he mentioned, and an assortment of blades. Included in the blades were Astra, Derby, Dorco, Feather, perhaps a Gillette 7 O'clock, and maybe one or two others. He told me just today that he didn't get good results from the Feather, it seemed to irritate. I suggested pressure as a possible (likely) culprit.

Ben, Phil's (luvmysuper) advice is very solid. I'd second pretty much everything he said up there.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

+1 on Phil's advice!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
He shouldn't use Feathers until he has his technique down. I tried a feather my 2nd week of DE shaving and cut myself, bad, about 3 times. He should get used to it on a forgiving blade, like Derbys.

He shouldn't use Feathers until he has his technique down. I tried a feather my 2nd week of DE shaving and cut myself, bad, about 3 times. He should get used to it on a forgiving blade, like Derbys.

That's what I recommended, but he didn't listen. He tried it once, I think and put it away for later. He said he was getting the irritation from all of the blades he's tried, though.

+1 on Phil's adivce.

Hey, fellas. I'm actually the brother that got him started. He doesn't get to the computer too often, so I'll tell you what he has. I PIF'd him a Gillette Tech, the creams and soap he mentioned, and an assortment of blades. Included in the blades were Astra, Derby, Dorco, Feather, perhaps a Gillette 7 O'clock, and maybe one or two others. He told me just today that he didn't get good results from the Feather, it seemed to irritate. I suggested pressure as a possible (likely) culprit.

Ben, Phil's (luvmysuper) advice is very solid. I'd second pretty much everything he said up there.

:thumbup: Kudos for trying to get your brother wet/de shaving!

+1 on Phil's adivce.

:thumbup: Kudos for trying to get your brother wet/de shaving!

Thanks, Ray. It wasn't a hard sell, really. I told him I actually liked to shave now, showed him some of my gear, and he was interested. Our brother in law is up next. He'll probably be joining the B&B ranks before long, but he wants to jump right in to straight razors. I can't blame him. I did the same thing and don't regret it at all. Either way, wet shaving beats the crap out of any other method out there.

Thanks for all the advice. My shave this morning was way better. I did four passes and wasn't too irritated. I still had a little stubble, but noticeably better than past shaves. This morning I used an astra blade, I don't know that it made a difference or not though.

I was also wondering if going ATG is a little uncomfortable for others. It almost feels like the hair is being pulled out instead of cut. Does that sound like I am doing something wrong, or is that normal? It works, it just feels different.

I don't know how anyone would start wet shaving without great help from people like you guys. I know I would be lost.

Ben

Thanks for all the advice. My shave this morning was way better. I did four passes and wasn't too irritated. I still had a little stubble, but noticeably better than past shaves. This morning I used an astra blade, I don't know that it made a difference or not though.

I was also wondering if going ATG is a little uncomfortable for others. It almost feels like the hair is being pulled out instead of cut. Does that sound like I am doing something wrong, or is that normal? It works, it just feels different.

I don't know how anyone would start wet shaving without great help from people like you guys. I know I would be lost.

Ben

Good luck and keep at it. The shaves get better as you go. I might suggest trying to keep it to 2 passes for now. 4 will probably cause irritation.

IMO, the preshave's just as important as the razor/blades (if not more). My first few shaves really sucked until i focused more on the lather and allowing it to do it's job. +1 to everything said above, and welcome to B&B. Sit back, relax, and let the AD's take over. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!:w00t:

Ben

Ben, was that Astra a new blade or one that you had already used a few times? Sometimes a dulled blade will pull like that.

Also, +1 to what was said about prep up there. When we talked the other day it sounded like your prep was pretty good. Just keep working on making a nice, cushiony, slick later.

Top Bottom