What's new

Indulgence of the night 8/1/07 - 14/1/07

Savinelli loaded with Rattray's Marlin Flake and a cup of Ristretto's Sumatra Mandheling.

Thanks to a B&B member who provided a sample of different tobaccos. I have been working my way through them and the latest was the Rattray's Marlin Flake. I have smoked a couple of bowls so figured I would share my experiences.

The scent of the tobacco is intoxicating. A wonderful fragrance of toffee and prunes. So I loaded her up and off I went. This is a wonderfully tasty Virginia! It provides a nice deep, rich and creamy smoke. A nice sweetness without becoming cloying. I was careful not to get over anxious and was rewarded with no tongue bite. As you work your way down the bowl the tobacco just becomes fuller and richer.

It is definitely a keeper! Will defintely be picking up a tin.

Next on the list...the Hamborger Veermaster.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Savinelli loaded with Rattray's Marlin Flake and a cup of Ristretto's Sumatra Mandheling.

Thanks to a B&B member who provided a sample of different tobaccos. I have been working my way through them and the latest was the Rattray's Marlin Flake. I have smoked a couple of bowls so figured I would share my experiences.

The scent of the tobacco is intoxicating. A wonderful fragrance of toffee and prunes. So I loaded her up and off I went. This is a wonderfully tasty Virginia! It provides a nice deep, rich and creamy smoke. A nice sweetness without becoming cloying. I was careful not to get over anxious and was rewarded with no tongue bite. As you work your way down the bowl the tobacco just becomes fuller and richer.

It is definitely a keeper! Will defintely be picking up a tin.

Next on the list...the Hamborger Veermaster.

The HV is neither as full nor complex as the Marlin Flake, but it's a remarkably bite-free introduction to virginian leaf. Dan Tabacco will send you, upon asking, a stunningly beautiful catalog. It is printed in German, but it has a bewildering array of blends on display.
The Rattray brand is one of the more collectable, and few would argue that Marlin Flake is their flagship product. The 4 ounce tall boy is a particularly nifty tin.

Banks's Mild Ale
Isle of Jura 10 yo

I'm just toying on whether to finish the night off with a glass of port and a wedge of stilton............ decisions,decisions

Makers Manhattan and a pipe loaded with Hamborger Veermaster. This was my first meeting with the HV. I will update after a couple more bowls. I will say that this is definitely less exciting to me than the Marling Flake or Astley's 109. Less complex...less flavor...I guess you can say that it is an easy smoke with no bite...someone may classify this as an all day smoke. No thinking needed...not something I would choose again to finish my night with a cocktail. Not to say it is bad...just different.

Starting with MF, most things are going to be a letdown. There isn't much that compares, with the exception of Stonehaven.

Sometimes you can't be gourmet... Work is killing me lately.

Frozen pierogies cooked in bacon fat
Thick cut bacon
sour cream & applesauce

GL Pease Westminster in a Stanwell Dublin

No pic - too lazy tonight :wink:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Sausage and pepper hero at work. Thank goodness we have good places to eat around here, or I'd go nuts.:blink:

Din: any oddball tobaccos on your wish list?

Sausage and pepper hero at work. Thank goodness we have good places to eat around here, or I'd go nuts.:blink:

Din: any oddball tobaccos on your wish list?

I must admit to being pretty much in the dark about pipe tobacco, at least compared to my knowledge of Habano cigars. I do tend to lean toward English style blends, and I stay away from the sweeter ones. I would love some recommendations from a pro though.
DJ.

I must admit to being pretty much in the dark about pipe tobacco, at least compared to my knowledge of Habano cigars. I do tend to lean toward English style blends, and I stay away from the sweeter ones. I would love some recommendations from a pro though.
DJ.
Lets talk some more about a tobacco club- throw in 10-20 bucks each and split up a bunch of stuff- plenty of experts hereabouts to show us the way!

Top Bottom