Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: Refrigerate pumpkin pie?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    286

    Default Refrigerate pumpkin pie?

    My girlfriend and I are cooking our first Thanksgiving dinner and I took care of baking the pumpkin pies tonight. Once they were done, she asked if I was going to put them in the refrigerator and I said no. She said her family always has, though my family never has.

    I decided to see what the interwebs had to say. Seems most sites are saying refrigeration is an absolute must as bacteria will begin forming right away if it's not put in the fridge.

    In the 30 Thanksgivings I have lived through, my mother has always made four or more pies and never refrigerated them, even though some of them didn't get finished up for nearly a week. Both my maternal and paternal grandmothers make pies every year and never refrigerate them. Nobody has ever gotten sick from eating them.

    Are all these warnings about refrigerating pumpkin pies a result of an overly germ sensitive modern culture? Or has my family been avoiding certain doom all this time? I could see tempting fate once or twice and getting away with it, but nobody getting sick in over 70 years from eating non-refrigerated pies has to be more than just a fluke. Or maybe we all just have really great immune systems...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NYC--a stone's throw from Belleview
    Posts
    771
    Images
    5

    Default

    We always put 'em on the back porch, but it wasn't heated.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wauconda, IL
    Posts
    227

    Default

    I do not think you need to refrigerate them. When you buy them in the store they are usually not refrigerated. That being said, I prefer my pumpkin pie cold.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Posts
    2,903

    Default

    Refridgerate, there are eggs and milk in the ingredients to spoil. Or just eat it all. It's not as filling if you ditch the crust.
    Sue

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    We always put 'em on the back porch, but it wasn't heated.
    Baking is an Art not a Science. With that out of the way. If it has eggs or dairy in it you should put it into the fridge.

    However I have never put a Pumpkin pie in the fridge and it hasn't made me or my family sick. I use this basic recipe for my pie http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Libbys-...ie/Detail.aspx

  6. #6

    Default

    The pies should be left out to cool completely, but for no more than two hours. They should be put in the fridge at this time. The danger zone for cold foods is above 41 degrees Fahrenheit, for hot foods is anything below 140 degrees Fahrenheit. All leftovers should be put into the fridge within one hour after the meal.

    Cool the pies away from the hot kitchen-stove area, but as I mentioned let cool completely before putting in the fridge. If not the pies remain hot while trying to cool in the fridge, and effectively create the "danger zone" for bacterial growth. Above 41.F and below 140.F

    I know people as well who have never refrigerated their pumpkin pies either and never gotten sick, but it's better to be safe than sorry. The big box stores get away with keeping the Pumpkin pies out because they typically use pasteurized eggs and evaporated milk, which retards spoilage times.

    Have a great, and happy Thanksgiving.
    It lathers like a Howitzer!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,069
    Images
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Refridgerate, there are eggs and milk in the ingredients to spoil. Or just eat it all. It's not as filling if you ditch the crust.
    Sue
    I like the way you think
    Shawn

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Posts
    17,644
    Images
    2

    Default

    Pumpkin pie never lasts long enough to need refrigeration.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
    Pumpkin pie never lasts long enough to need refrigeration.....
    +1 It's like asking how you store freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

  10. Default

    So many great points made already. The only one I will suggest is..... Don't make this a potential source of argument between you and your girlfriend. I say make love not war (especially when everybody else passes out from eating too much turkey)
    Mike

  11. #11

    Default

    I'd say in the fridge, not that I wouldn't eat a pie that accidentally got left out, but if it's going to be for any extended period of time you never know what kind of wild microbeasts might be lurking... Pumpkin pie surface is practically an agar plate waiting to happen...
    -Jordan
    The world needs more humble geniuses, there are so few of us left.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    286
    Thread Starter

    Default

    I did put them in the fridge as I didn't see any reason not to, and as one of you has pointed out it's best not to start an argument with the girlfriend on Thanksgiving (or any other time for that matter!)

    The thing that gets me though is the argument that because the pies have dairy and eggs in them, they need to be refrigerated. Cookies and cakes have eggs and dairy in them, and I've never heard anyone suggest they need to be refrigerated after cooking.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    central/upstate NY, USA
    Posts
    64

    Default

    if it will make potential eaters more comfortable, refrigerate.

    that said i grew up with hanging meat and wild game to age without issues. pies sat maybe a day or two under a flyscreen on the kitchen counter before they were gone.

    (only time i ever got sick was at KFC....).

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pacific Rim
    Posts
    7,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
    Pumpkin pie never lasts long enough to need refrigeration.....
    Amen brother...Amen!

    BTW...the Food Network has an amazing pie topping to top off your pumpkin masterpiece...just combine cranberries, pecans and a few cookies (recipie calls for amaretti, but I used Delta Airlines Bischoff cookies) into a food processor for a quick chop.

    Makes for a crunchy and slightly tart topping which is an amazing compliment to any pumpkin pie.

    I'm sure many of you have had this before, but last night was my first time...I like the topping almost as much as the pie!
    Chris
    Steward of the B&B Clubhouse

  15. #15

    Default

    I would refrigerate it but it does taste better at room temp so be sure to let it defrost before serving.
    Last edited by Kouros; 11-27-2009 at 07:01 AM.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
    +1 It's like asking how you store freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.
    You must live at my house, because this is exactly what happens every time I make cookies. Strange phenomenon. I think we'll have to do some "research" on this topic this weekend...

  17. #17

    Default

    If it was just a few hours I wouldn't bother refrigerating it but for something longer I would. There's a lot of moisture in a Pie as compare to cookies and most bacteria do better in a moist environment. But pie is best at room temp so just pull it 1-2 hrs before you want to eat it and everyone is happy.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Maryland, USA
    Posts
    2,315

    Default

    Your family has been *just* avoiding food poisoning - especially when considering pumpkin pie is made with eggs and dairy.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    286
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhosYerBob View Post
    Your family has been *just* avoiding food poisoning - especially when considering pumpkin pie is made with eggs and dairy.
    That's the thing though. 70 years is a long time to merely be avoiding getting sick. Also, cakes and cookies are made with eggs and dairy and nobody suggests keeping them refrigerated.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trench View Post
    That's the thing though. 70 years is a long time to merely be avoiding getting sick. Also, cakes and cookies are made with eggs and dairy and nobody suggests keeping them refrigerated.
    Cakes and cookies don't contain nearly as much moisture as pie so your argument is unfair.
    Last edited by Kouros; 11-27-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone know how to make pumpkin pie?
    By Obsessed in forum The Mess Hall
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-08-2010, 02:44 PM
  2. Pumpkin
    By Pumpkin in forum User
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 10:27 PM
  3. The Great Pumpkin
    By profsaffel in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 08:06 AM
  4. Pumpkin Beers
    By MacArthur Mike in forum The Speakeasy
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 06:14 AM
  5. Carve your own pumpkin
    By AACJ in forum The Barber Shop
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.