What's new

I’ve survived straight razor shaves 2 and 3!

Me hearties

So I’ve made progress.

Yesterday I had my second straight razor shave (after they sewed my ear back on:laugh:). I followed Glen’s advice to go slowly, and Lynn’s suggestion to newbies to start shaving only the cheek from sideburn to jawline. http://www.straightrazorplace.com/f...37-first-straight-razor-shave-read-first.html

No nicks, no razor burn :biggrin1:. Finished with M3 (right cheek, neck and chin).

The main thing I started to learn about was blade angle and using the different parts of the blade. Oh, and keeping my face very wet and lathered.

This morning I progressed to both left and right cheeks (which sounds suspect however you say it). Again no nicks and no burn. I’m only doing one pass with the razor, and I’m certainly not going for BBS with it. My face is just getting used to the blade, and I’m getting used to handling it.

Which brings me to stropping…

You may recall on my other post that Glen suggested I strop on newspaper (or jeans). Well, I went with newspaper. Bizarrely soothing experience. It took me thirty or so laps actually to lower the edge onto the paper while stropping, as I was so worried about pressing the blade. I then realised there is a specific sound the edge makes when it’s in contact with the stropping surface. Did about seventy laps in an “X” pattern. The edge did not quite pass the HHT (should it? Do I need to keep stropping?), but still shaved pretty well. Pinched a bit when I slapped on the Musgo :w00t:

So I’m learning all kinds of stuff and my strop hasn’t even arrived yet.

What I really appreciate now is that act of stropping helps me to shave. Sitting there at our kitchen table, I had to watch, feel and listen to the razor as it went back and forth (on an article about what's happened in China in the twenty years since Tiananmen Square, which was weird).

Very much a "wipe on, wipe off" moment (for the 1980s film fans among you).

Will continue to take it slowly and get used to blade angle and technique before I move onto my neck.

BTW - I have a canvas belt. Can I use that as a strop for use prior to the newspaper?

Congratz on your progress just keep at it :thumbup:

BTW - I have a canvas belt. Can I use that as a strop for use prior to the newspaper?

If it is flat, then yes. With flat I mean that there are no ridges or patterns sticking out of the fabric except for the canvas texture of course.

How far away is your strop? Id suggest that you stick to newspaper till it arrives since the paper is considered as quite abrasive compared to plain leather and it should keep you going for quite a while.

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm about to take the plunge and buy a straight. Nice to hear about someone else's experience.

How far away is your strop? Id suggest that you stick to newspaper till it arrives since the paper is considered as quite abrasive compared to plain leather and it should keep you going for quite a while.

Strop is winging its way from Tony Miller, this week/next week ETA in UK. Will continue with newspaper until then. Thank you :thumbup1:

Shaved this morning and nicked myself a nice trickler in the middle of my cheek. Rolled my alum stick over it a few times :w00t: But did the trick. Alum is my trusted workhorse at this stage...

Strop is winging its way from Tony Miller, this week/next week ETA in UK. Will continue with newspaper until then. Thank you :thumbup1:

Shaved this morning and nicked myself a nice trickler in the middle of my cheek. Rolled my alum stick over it a few times :w00t: But did the trick. Alum is my trusted workhorse at this stage...

You will come to love it even more before you've come very far:001_smile
I still love mine:001_rolle

Top Bottom