What's new

The GEM grip

For quite a few months now my GEM clog proof has been sitting in the cabinet unused with about 200 Ted Pella blades. When I first used this razor, I hated it, it raked up my face, there was blood everywhere. I decided this GEM Fad was really just a fad and the razors were more of a cool factor than a good shave. I usually use straights, but since my job requires me to get up at 5am, I use DEs a lot of the time, I like the way they look and I like the shaves.....well mostly.
The fat boy, the slims, the SS, they all did okay jobs, nothing like a straight though, and I thought that's all you could get out of a disposable razor. The NEW I use daily is very nice though, the best of my DEs but it still lacks something close under my chin. The Micromatic certainly didn't live up to the hype...

Well that was until about 5 days ago when I saw a post on this site mentioning how to grip a GEM. I didn't know the way you hold a GEM would be totally different than a DE, the angle and the way your fingers hold the razor is way different.

The grip I am addressing is where you pinch the top of the handle near the head of the razor with two fingers. The rest of the handle just hovers in between your other fingers loosely, like a guide. Since discovering this post the other day the Micromatic has gotten me Straight Razor closeness. I since then have ordered a 1912 in the case. Next I want a Lather Catcher and a G bar. These razors are WONDERFUL Shavers.

If anyone out there has tried a GEM and hated it, got hurt, etc, please try this grip and make sure your angle is right. I am glad I give my Micromatic another shot, now my DEs are sitting in the bathroom crying like babies.

Great tips. The Gems are wonderful shavers. If I didn't like variety, I would probably use my Gem all of the time.

I think I am going to do a week of Gems next week. :thumbup1::thumbup:

Great tips. The Gems are wonderful shavers. If I didn't like variety, I would probably use my Gem all of the time.

I think I am going to do a week of Gems next week. :thumbup1::thumbup:

Did that a few weeks ago, great shaves all.

Disburden, one you didn't mention was the Feather Weight. Not to be overlooked, for me the shave was about equal to a 1912, which is arguably the best of the lot (though some do prefer the Micromatic).

Speaking of Clog Proofs, I've got 5 or 6 Micromatics rattling around here. Open Combs, Safety Bars and a Bullet. But no Clog Proof. Huh. A reason to buy another razor :w00t:.

Thanks for that post, i have 1 Gem G bar, 1 Gem Featherweight a 1912 and a Ever Ready G bar, i have tried them all and couldnt get on with any of them, cuts,irritation and a poor shave was all i got,was considering getting rid but i,m gonna give this technique a go and see what happens:thumbup1:

I used an open comb Micromatic this morning - not a bad shave (very close) - but I have to go easy on my neck! A little irritation.

I wish I had seen your post previous to the shave - I would have tried holding the razor closer to the head.

One thing I find about many of the Gem/Ever-Readys - the handles can be slippery. The Featherweight, Push-button, & Contour - all with plastic handles - are exceptions.

Interesting that there is renewed interest in SEs. I bet this happens cyclically - with new members coming in & happening across these things.

Hm...maybe this was part of my problem as well with my clog-pruf.

Of course, the blades I have are not considered the best for the application.

This is useful information. I think that some variation of this technique may improve the shaves on the Pal/Personna Injectors as well. It has been noted and also mentioned in their instructions that they should be done flat (like an SE).

In the past, I have found that the grip I use on my Schicks does not work on these razors.......

Trust me, this helps a lot. I hold the razor way up near the head with a thumb and a forefinger grip, very lightly, my other fingers just hover around the handle for angle manipulation. This morning I had the best shave ever with a disposable razor, it was equal to my straight shaves.

Feather weight is also on my list of gets, I can't believe I forgot. A nice Lather Catcher with a big cage is what I want to get next though.

V

VR6ofpain

I think some GEM's just don't shave as well. I never could get good shaves from the G-Bar, but I have awesome results with the 1912 and Featherweights.

Your post makes me want to bust mine out again. I was using my 1912 once or twice a week for months, but I cleaned it and put it away some time back.

I just shaved with my Micromatic open comb today, I shaved fairly quick and got a fantastic close shave with no nicks or razor burn; one negative note, I look like a kid now.

I think some GEM's just don't shave as well. I never could get good shaves from the G-Bar, but I have awesome results with the 1912 and Featherweights.

Your post makes me want to bust mine out again. I was using my 1912 once or twice a week for months, but I cleaned it and put it away some time back.
All Gem's are great shavers.:001_smile Some are greater than others though.:thumbup1:

I use this grip when shaving WTG and downward-angled XTG passes, but I haven't found the best grip for upward ATG passes. Anyone have a secret for those?

I use this grip when shaving WTG and downward-angled XTG passes, but I haven't found the best grip for upward ATG passes. Anyone have a secret for those?

I still hold the razor near the head with two fingers, but just upside down and I just glide it lightly over my face while it's upside down. So basically it's the same the grip, just upside down, and with a lighter touch.

I still hold the razor near the head with two fingers, but just upside down and I just glide it lightly over my face while it's upside down. So basically it's the same the grip, just upside down, and with a lighter touch.

I forgot to mention that when I use the razor ATG I Hold it between my thumb and my middle finger near the head, as to where when I am going WTG or XTG I use my pointer finger and my thumb to hold the razor near the head.

Just got another BBS from this Micromatic clog proof.

Edit question:

Does anyone have any pictures taken of how the angle should be on your face for a Lather catcher or another Gem with a big style head? It seems that it would be different than a smaller headed razor like the Micro or G bar.

Last edited:
I plan to get around to trying at least one of the Gems that I've bought - Junior, Micromatic, G-Bar - in the next couple of weeks. Actually it's a little sad that I'd be planning shaves a week or more in advance, but oh well.

Any tips on shaving right under the nose with one of these? ATG only? With my DE razors I get the best results there WTG, but it doesn't seem like that would be easy with those large heads on the Gems coupled with the shallower blade angle. Maybe I'll just have to figure out what works for me, but would appreciate any advice.

R

rainman

To the OP. I hold a gem just about the opposite than you do. My pointer, middle, and ring finger tips on one side of the handle with the thumb on the other side and the pinky underneath the knob of the razor. I use the micromatic variety mainly.

I plan to get around to trying at least one of the Gems that I've bought - Junior, Micromatic, G-Bar - in the next couple of weeks. Actually it's a little sad that I'd be planning shaves a week or more in advance, but oh well.

Any tips on shaving right under the nose with one of these? ATG only? With my DE razors I get the best results there WTG, but it doesn't seem like that would be easy with those large heads on the Gems coupled with the shallower blade angle. Maybe I'll just have to figure out what works for me, but would appreciate any advice.

What I do for the under the nose is what I do when I shave with a straight. You kind of scoop with the razor in a downward stroke towards your lips. You can find it in any forum on Straight razors, such as the Wiki on straightrazorplace.com. I never do ATG on my upperlip, only WTG and XTG.

To the OP. I hold a gem just about the opposite than you do. My pointer, middle, and ring finger tips on one side of the handle with the thumb on the other side and the pinky underneath the knob of the razor. I use the micromatic variety mainly.

Do you hold it up near the top of the razor though, near the head? I Think that's what makes the main difference.

R

rainman

Do you hold it up near the top of the razor though, near the head? I Think that's what makes the main difference.

No, I hold most all razors toward the the middle to bottom. I guess that is why I prefer long handled razors. The regular size there isn't enough razor to hold on to and I can freely let the head rest in the hot sink water without being worried to keep it in the water really shallow as to not wet or soap up the handle.

Top Bottom