What's new

Introduction and question.

Slant or Progress?

• Slant

• Progress/Mergress

• WWND?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi all. I've been wet shaving for approximately a year now and have often read these forums but have just got round to registering. I feel I now have a pretty good technique (largely thanks to the members of this site) but recognise there is still a whole lot more to learn.

For those of you who are interested my kit is fairly limited but consists of:

Home
Merkur 38c
Kent Blk2
GFT shaving cream
Trumper's sandalwood skinfood

Travel
Merkur travel razor
Edwin Jagger travel brush (black)
TOBS Sandalwood shave stick
Trumper's sandalwood skinfood

I have also tried various other products (Ingram's menthol cream, Palmolive soap and cream, etc. but the products above are thos that I use daily)

I hope it's not considered rude to ask a question in a first post but I need some help making a decision.

I have decided to get a new razor, not because I need one, just because I feel like a bit of a change. I have basically shortlisted the Merkur Slant and the Progress. I am not so keen on the ugly (imho) plastic adjustment knob on the Progress however do like the idea of having the adjustment option.

Given the vast experience on this site any suggestions, ideas or comments would be gratefully recieved.

Thankyou in advance.

I hope it's not considered rude to ask a question in a first post but I need some help making a decision.

Not in the least. That's how lots of us got started.

I have decided to get a new razor, not because I need one, just because I feel like a bit of a change. I have basically shortlisted the Merkur Slant and the Progress. I am not so keen on the ugly (imho) plastic adjustment knob on the Progress however do like the idea of having the adjustment option.

Given the vast experience on this site any suggestions, ideas or comments would be gratefully recieved.

Thankyou in advance.

First off, welcome!

Second off, might I suggest either a Gillette Slim or a Gillette FatBoy? Nicely chromed throughout, and no plastic! My Slim is my go-to razor, most days, unless I feel like giving one of my Super Speeds a go...

Thankyou. I did consider a vintage Gillette, however after a little looking around I can't find any here in the UK for sale. I will keep an eye on eBay and the BST forum for a UK based seller though.

The Slant and Progress are two vastly different razors. What you are looking for will help make the decision. As pointed above the Slim and Fatboy would probably be better choices and the nostalgia factor. If you want new though you can get a metal knob for the progress, I think they call it Mergress??

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Don't worry, ask any questions, any time!

Your setup sounds right. Between a Progress and a slant, I would go with a Slant. It's a good beast to try at least once. I'm not a fan of adjustable but do not discard them, they could be great for you!

The Slant and Progress are two vastly different razors. What you are looking for will help make the decision. As pointed above the Slim and Fatboy would probably be better choices and the nostalgia factor. If you want new though you can get a metal knob for the progress, I think they call it Mergress??

Ahhh I will have to try and find the Mergress. Thanks.

As far as the Slant/Progress I am open to suggestions, I am not looking for anything in particular, just a change.

Welcome aboard sir! I haven't used a Progress but I do own a slant so I'm not sure I can give you much advice as far as a 'which one?' goes...I find the slant to be 'okay' but lots of guys love them. :thumbup1:

The progress is my most reliable razor. I love it and it loves me. I would say get the progress, it will be nice to have an adjustable in your arsenal.

One of my favorite things about it is the huge channels for cream and whiskers! It just makes scence to me and makes for easy rincein!

Welcome to B&B:001_smile I tried many razors before my 39c, when I go back and try and use some of them they feel like toys. I have never tried a Progress, but from what I understand you might want a Mergress instead. It seems the Slant and Mergress both hold their value well so you can always sell them on the board, if they are not to your liking.

Welcome to B&B!

As has already been mentioned, there is the Mergress version of the Progress and there is also now a long handled version.

I can only tell you this - My favorite razor is the Barber Pole Slant. It consistently gives me a very close, comfortable, smooth shave. It is a tool to be respected but not feared.

Top Bottom