What's new

Red Tip Without End Caps?

Hi guys,

I've just acquired a very nice Red Tip A3 Date Code, BUT it has no end cap covers? I've had other razors where the end caps were missing but these had the lead solder visible where the caps were fixed. This one has no trace of lead.

Are there red tips without end caps - I certainly haven't seen one, so not sure what's up here?

Any advice greatly appreciated (as always)

I believe the red tip were made during the end cap era, once they started using end caps they didn't go without.
It's not hard to clean off the solder, heat it with a candle and wipe it off with a rag, so a previous owner might have cleaned it up after they fell off.

I believe the red tip were made during the end cap era, once they started using end caps they didn't go without.
It's not hard to clean off the solder, heat it with a candle and wipe it off with a rag, so a previous owner might have cleaned it up after they fell off.

Agreed. Is it also possible it's replated (and repainted)? If the solder was removed, you can peak under the razor and often see a line of demarcation where the cap overlaps the mating surface but creates a void in plating (since the plating was done after end cap attachment).

Thanks Bob,

Now I have to decide whether to remove the caps from a donor and refit to the Red Tip or just leave it as found. It looks OK without caps, but just not 'authentic' I suppose.

Hi Bill,

Well, usually I would be the one to replate it, but in this case it just doesn't need it. The paint on the knob is the right colour too and has a few chips so It doesn't look to have been plated/painted recently.

Anyway, I really like it as a shaver and the lack of caps doesn't offend me, so it may become a keeper.

Agreed. Is it also possible it's replated (and repainted)? If the solder was removed, you can peak under the razor and often see a line of demarcation where the cap overlaps the mating surface but creates a void in plating (since the plating was done after end cap attachment).

Top Bottom