What's new

Yardley Shaving Soap

I've been watching this auction for a few days. Guess I'll be a pure spectator now.:sad:

I doubt it would have mattered. We can tell from this thread that there were several following it regardless, so it will still command more than I am willing to pay when it finally sells.

I doubt it would have mattered. We can tell from this thread that there were several following it regardless, so it will still command more than I am willing to pay when it finally sells.

Unless those of us that were watching it forgot to bid (one went for $30 not long ago that I forgot to bid on)... Point is, it's just not something that you do (or should do)...

IMHO

I found an unopened Yardley bowl that belonged to my Grand Dad. The scent is gone, but man does that stuff lather great. I have opted to only use it for birthday shaves, so it should last the rest of my life:thumbup:

To be fair, the OP only made fellow B&Bers aware of the auction, it's not like he took out an ad in the newspaper. So while you might be upset to have your own personal chances of winning lowered, at least you're more than likely losing to a fellow B&B member. That's worth something right? I suppose that person will be paying more money so I understand why people are cautioning him against this. Still, try not to get too upset.

For the record, I'm much too poor to be bidding on anything like that, so don't look at me :angel:

If you are planning on bidding on an ebay item, it's really not very smart to tell everyone about it. If you're not planning on bidding, you're sabotaging anyone else on here who had already planned to bid. You pretty much just guaranteed this Yardley will shoot through the roof. If you're really just curious about the quality of an item, you can ask about it without posting that "there is presently an auction on Ebay" for one of the most sought after soaps in the wet shaving world. You just did a huge disservice to your fellow B&Bers who had already seen this item, and were planning to bid.

Wow... Thanks for the advice. Admittedly, I don't see a "Moderator" tag under your username. As it appears you're a new Moderator, maybe you could you let everyone know how/when we are to discuss EBay bids? :rolleyes5

To anyone that was truly inconvienced by my post... I apologize. Apparently, I am not too savvy when it comes to the code of EBay. It was posted on the premise of shaving soap interest.

Perhaps this EBay/bidding topic could be addressed in a forum Sticky? By someone with "Moderator" under their username?

Folks, Links to live Ebay auctions are not allowed. It is covered in the Terms of Usage that all members should be familiar with.

* To the OP that did this - please don't do this again. In general the Mod's don't mind it when the members help enforce the rules. Please don't be upset by this.

* To the folks that are upset about this auction being published. Let it go. Nothing that is sought after (Yardley soaps, Old spice soaps, razors, etc., etc.) goes under the radar any more on Ebay.

I would venture to guess that about 90% of the items I want to bid on on e-bay end up being won by another member here. I keep seeing several pictures of the items I was hoping to win posted in the "score" section.... C'est La Guerre!

I myself dislike the "sniper" programs, and elect not to use them. IMHO, they go against the spirit of the auction, and kill virtually any chance to get something on the cheap. People are so e-bay savvy now, you would think it's ridiculous if you could see the number of "Luxury" automobiles that I see in my favorite thrift store haunts. A dollar to a donut that much of what gets purchased ends up on e-bay.

Yard sales, and the odd antique dealer that doesn't do a bit of research is about the only place left to score a "white elephant" ( a rare beast) these days.

That being said, I found my first razor ten plus years ago at a yard sale(1975 super adj.) and have yet to find one at an antique store. I do run across shaving mugs often at thrift stores, and have found one puck of NOS " Chicago " shaving soap. Even If you buy on the BST B&B forum you are buying from folks who typically know what something is really worth, and depending on generosity, or PIF to acquire something that is below market value.

Wow... Thanks for the advice. Admittedly, I don't see a "Moderator" tag under your username. As it appears you're a new Moderator, maybe you could you let everyone know how/when we are to discuss EBay bids? :rolleyes5

To anyone that was truly inconvienced by my post... I apologize. Apparently, I am not too savvy when it comes to the code of EBay. It was posted on the premise of shaving soap interest.

Perhaps this EBay/bidding topic could be addressed in a forum Sticky? By someone with "Moderator" under their username?

Okay, sarcasm noted. Tell you what -- let's put the sarcasm to rest. A peace offering: if you PM me your mailing address, I'll send you a small sample of Yardley so you can see what all the fuss is about. :001_smile Sorry, offer only available to Rusty JackKnife. And yes, I'm serious -- I will happily send you a sample.

Last edited:
Folks, Links to live Ebay auctions are not allowed. It is covered in the Terms of Usage that all members should be familiar with.

* To the OP that did this - please don't do this again. In general the Mod's don't mind it when the members help enforce the rules. Please don't be upset by this.

* To the folks that are upset about this auction being published. Let it go. Nothing that is sought after (Yardley soaps, Old spice soaps, razors, etc., etc.) goes under the radar any more on Ebay.

Was a link posted in the OP?

OK, OK, OK.

controversy over.

I want the stuff - no one else who has posted to this thread may bid on this item.

There!

Why can't we all be friends?

We are the world!

What's so bad about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

MY YARDLEY!!!!!

bwaaaaaaahahahhahahhahahahhhhhaaaaaaaa

OK, OK, OK.

controversy over.

I want the stuff - no one else who has posted to this thread may bid on this item.

There!

Why can't we all be friends?

We are the world!

What's so bad about Peace, Love, and Understanding?

MY YARDLEY!!!!!

bwaaaaaaahahahhahahhahahahhhhhaaaaaaaa

Jon has issues... excuse him:001_cool:

Who won it?

The bowl (70's?) looks like it is higher quality than the couple that i have (possibly 50's?)

here is an image from the ebay seller:

proxy.php

I did NOT win - I couldn't bring myself to go up to $100 - and I'm sure that was at least the maximum bid.

damn. Now I'm really wanting one of these.

Scarcity - real or perceived - drives the prices up, eh? All you need are at least two obsessive maniacs and an auction!

hope someone here got it!

Jon

Top Bottom