What's new

Can this W&B Be Saved?

I picked up a Wade and Butcher Bow razor fairly cheap. Looking at it with my untrained eyes, things look a little grim to me. Looks like a LOT of hone wear as well it looks like the front of the razor has been honed way more than the back.

The box and scales are in great condition, so it's not a total loss if the blade can't be saved.

But what do you guys think? Worth shipping it off to be honed or not?

She won’t win any beauty contests but as a shaver she will do.
The entire edge may need to be re-profiled, the toe may a bit tricky to get sharp because of the curve and wider bevels but once ready, she should be a fine shaver.

As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words except when it is of a razor :lol::lol:

This one is just about done, so I figured I would tell you what all it actually needed

View attachment 77091

Lets see if I did anything with that pic :laugh: I so suck at computer stuff
sorry..

OK first thing I did was to buff with greaseless compounds, not so much to polish but to soften and smooth those old wear marks... Otherwise I would just be falling back into the same old ruts again...

After that I re-contoured the heel and straightened out that hook back there..

I took it to the stones at that point, only to find that the heel was mis-ground so it was lifting edge off the stone one one side... Back out to the shop and a Dremel with a sanding drum and 120 grit and I hollowed that back so the whole edge can run on the stone...

I was just getting the bevel set when I ran out of time this morning... Will post the completed pics when she is done...

Last edited:
It's beautiful!

I just shaved so I 'm gonna give a few days of growth and let her rip.

I have no hair on my arms either, so legs it twas... talk about sharp.

Thanks so much!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
It's beautiful!

I just shaved so I 'm gonna give a few days of growth and let her rip.

I have no hair on my arms either, so legs it twas... talk about sharp.

Thanks so much!

:thumbup1:

Do you have any pictures of the full razor?

Sure.

Two important caveats:

1) Took these with my cellphone and whatever lighting was around. So... bear that in mind.

2) I did not ask for or receive a restoration. Glen did only a honing. The razor geometry was BAD and he straightened it out amazingly. These photos wouldn't go into the Razor Restoration hall-of-fame even if they were taken with a good camera. So, yeah the scales need touched up, yeah some polish here and there but honestly it's night and day from when I sent it out. I'm thrilled with the results. Worth every cent. I can tell you right now if I ever get a meat-chopper, I know where I'm sending it for the full resto.

That said, all the deep discoloration is gone! The blade now shaves and there is a ton of spine left. I don't know how he did it! I mean, he even told me how he did it and I could never in a million years have done it!!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice pictures! That's some nice work!

She'll be heading home today...
Should be a nice shaver for another 40 years...
I tried to take almost the exact same pic so you can see the re-contours..

View attachment 77794

The after photo was snapped at different angle... my eyes tell me the edge is straighter than the before pic. Indeed, I don't think I could have fixed that blade any better.

Top Bottom